Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet >

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Sorry Gilla, I see you are here, it comes up to last message and then I don't see new posts till after I have written. Hullo !!!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM

I'm here, fussing and cussing. We had a guy service the machine for us as the selector knobs were frozen, the bobbin winder wheel was kaputt, and my husband figured it was less nerve wrecking having someone else fight with it than we fight with each other over how to fix it.

Yes I have sewn on it and it sews nice. Read my previous message. I have another pillow case to do. Great ambitions!!

I really want to use that machine for the actual quilting of a couple of quilts I started but now backing as yet.

My new toy is in my computer room and I have to run back and forth as the iron board is in the living room and so is the other machine. I gotta get better organized.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 PM

[Okay, I have a broad back, but currently a short fuse. LOL ]

:lol: That was me the other day. I didn't count my serger when I was talking about sewing machine...go figure. I took it in to be checked out about 6 months ago and the guy said..."oh, that one is really old". Okay, I'm cracking up here. "It" is the youngest sewing machine I have. I bought it about 10 years ago.

I have to admit that I dread it when I use it...it is not an easy machine to use. The guy said that the newer machines are a lot easier to use. I might trade it in one day and get an easier serger. I do like having seams serged. It gives a nice look to blankets, pillowcases and such.

By the way, I have had both of my needles fall out into the hole of my serger....lol...
That is usually when I'm not saying nice words to it.
:lol:
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Can we see the quilt when you have quilted it Gilla, please. I think it would make a very interesting story. Your purchase really helped me a lot because I discovered there are others in the group with old machine addictions, and I have really enjoyed talking to you. Thankyou! I have just learned so much from the exchange here the last couple of days. I am definitely going to buy another of these machines, see what you have started! :)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM

I am not an antique sewing machine collector. I just wanted the Singer 401 as my DH bought me one 51 years ago as a wedding present. I had to sell it several years later as we started traveling. My husband is an engineer by trade and we traveled and traveled. When he finally retired, we settled here in Texas, and I wanted the 401 back when I saw it on Craigslist. By the way, if you really want to go nuts, check out the Craigslist for your area, or mine, www.craigslist.org, and pick San Antonio. They have several vintage Singer machines for sale at low prices.

By the way, Wing, I taught school in Sale, Vic for two years, English, of all things, with a Yank accent. I loved it!!

Gilla
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Yes, I saw yesterday that you taught there, but you did not say it was English! It is interesting to note on our television newshere these days that lots of comments taken from people in quick street interviews now have an American accent, either we have more American people living here or perhaps it may be your ex English students :) - I did ask if you would ever come back here and am still interested to know. It must be hard with your grandaughter so far away over here. It must be wonderful to have found your Singer 401, I know it is a different one, but I bet it brings back many happy memories.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM

I would keep your machine (you will be sorry if you don't, speaking from experience) also, 125-160 isn't a lot of money today! that machine will outlast many, So go for it and enjoy it!
My hubby and I have a deal, I stay out of his garage and he stays out of my sewing room :roll:

I have a 1951 singer in cabinet
a Janome 9500
a Janome Platinum
a Singer serger almost on it last leg, (dh said he would buy me a new one for Christmas if I want) not sure if I am ready to give up on this one

Future plans: a 301 Singer and a little featherweight just because they are adorableand a real work horse. And last but not least, another treadle, oh gosh I sold mine when we moved and so sorry!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Hi Gilla and everyone - Thankyou for sharing your story Cat In My Lap - wow, wonderful quilt, as I am a cat lover I think it is great. I will not show them (the cats) or they will expect their mother to make one for them.

What a wonderful 401 story! Gilla, you buy a machine, and look at the thread you have started here and how everyone is not viewing their 401A machines. :)

Good luck with your next machines deedum! Pics please when you find them!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM

I am awestruck the response there was to this request. I also looked for a pattern under Pictures and it also had a lot of responses. I locked on a pattern by Karen Combs -- Quilts of illusion -- It really struck my fancy.
After checking into it more I decided to use the free pattern available and buy my fabric at an LQS. Hopefully lot cheaper.
Meanwhile, I'll put up the rest of my summer's quilts in Pictures.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM

I didn't mention my serger is about 18 yrs old, of course everyone acts like it is a dinasaour! I just know that when I least expect it, I will find my vintage machine somewhere on my treasure hunt, I will know it, when a little voice inside me says" take me home" til then I dream! :thumbup: