Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet >

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet

Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Can't say how much I have enjoyed Gillie's session on the 401A. Got mine when I was 13, 53 years ago. I have learned a lot about the machine in these sessions. I read that they came out in 1960, but I got mine in 1957. anybody know for sure if that was the year they came out?
she still runs GREAT. I have since got a Viking #1. Oh yes, and my surger, a My Lock 244D, is 22 years old, I really hate to thread that lower looper! I am getting an itch to shop for a new one. anybody know which is easiest to thread?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:59 PM

We bought our first 401 in 1959 (May or June) so it had to be before 1960. I sold it several years later.

As for Sergers. mine is a pain to thread and I have not talked to anyone so far that does not have trouble with it. So when you find a Serger that threads easily, let us all know because I would be first one to trade mine in.

Gilla

I have a Bernette Funlock 004
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM

I agree about keeping your old machines, especially if they are a workhorse type of machine. I will never get rid of my Bernina 930, it is just like new and is a wonderful machine. We still have my moms 530 Bernina, bought in 1956. I just bought a 1952 Featherweight and my sister still has my grandmothers old Featherweight. Unless I did embroidery or needed a bigger throat area for machine quilting. I am stuck on the great old machines.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM

You won't believe what I pulled now. I saw an ad in the local newspaper--- a Singer 401A - like mine - for sale, impossibly cheap. I convinced my DH that I needed to look at it. Again we made a two hour trip.
This machine isn't in as good a shape as the one I bought before, but it is fixable. The cabinet is one of the smaller ones. The machine folds into the well. There is an extension lid that flips out. The cabinet is in rough shape, but it is solid wood and DH says he can fix it. It has no accessories, but they can be bought.
Now that we have some experience fixing these beasties up, we will clean this one, fix the cabinet and turn around and sell it..
What am I getting into?? Am I crazy??? $25.00 total!

Gilla
When I have recovered from the trip, I'll post some pictures.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM

Oooooooh dear Gilla - you have got the 401A bug - question is - will you really be able to sell your new baby once you have restored it - or will it in fact be a project in which you keep the new baby as you cannot bear to part with it - this is how it starts - and before you know it you will have a house full of machines - take it from one who knows - it all started with one old treadle machine and now we have a whole family of machines filling the house. Yes, you are now in danger of catching the dreaded machineaholic disease!!! :)
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wings
Oooooooh dear Gilla - you have got the 401A bug - question is - will you really be able to sell your new baby once you have restored it - or will it in fact be a project in which you keep the new baby as you cannot bear to part with it - this is how it starts - and before you know it you will have a house full of machines - take it from one who knows - it all started with one old treadle machine and now we have a whole family of machines filling the house. Yes, you are now in danger of catching the dreaded machineaholic disease!!! :)
Oh Boy, how true you are. I have been slowly, very slowly getting rid of a few of my old treasures. They do take up a lot of space. I am starting to use my FW's more. I am going to reorganize my sewing studio after Christmas so I can put and use more of my oldies in the studio.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 AM

What is going to save me is that I don't have the room in my house to keep it. We live in a manufactured home. While most people would find this adequate, we are also computer freaks. My DH and I each have a computer room. My dining room is my sewing room. We moved here 10 years ago from a 3000 sf house because my husband wanted to live in the country. The only way I agreed to it was that I could have ALL of my furniture. My living room is cluttered. I have to make room for Thanksgiving Thursday and I haven't started yet. Does that give you a picture? My computer room now has to share with two sewing machines, the Singer CXL and the 401 I bought earlier this month. I just sold my Viking 6570 to make room for the Viking Serger I am going to buy on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). My Designer 1 is in the dining room with my Bernina Serger that I am trying to sell on craigslist, along with everything that doesn't fit into my computer room. My husband won't share his computer room. So this new toy has to be fixed and gotten rid of asap.
I should never have joined this board. It makes addict out of us poor quilters. (LOL)

Gilla
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Listen to your husband. He sounds like a wise and learned man. By the way, where is this guy in TX? I am looking for a 401A with accessories to have as backup for my 401A which doesnt have accessories and no cabinet. I'm in Seattle and won't mind paying the freight to have that machine shipped.

[email protected]
Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM

How interesting! I learned to sew on a 401A and when I was pregnant with my first daughter, I got an identical one used for $75. That daughter is now 36. I just stopped sewing with it about 2 years ago as it needs major servicing. Over the years I have misplaced most of the accessories (cams) for the fancy stitches, but it was a super machine. My mom had one also, which I got when she passed. My hubby is going to take them both and put one together in a rehaul. I see several on Ebay for reasonable prices, one even starts out at less than $5. But I think that a purchase like that might be done best near home. either way, I now have a Bernina 440 QE and love it. I do use my feather weight while the Bernina is embroidering....there is always room for one more nice lady (machine). Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Three days until Christmas and I am still sewing. I bought a Serger from Patty's Sewing Center here in San Antonio, TX. She had a sale on Black Friday when ALL her items were 50% off. I bought a Viking Serger, assuming i would get 50% as I met all of her requirements, i.e. I was there in time for the sale, etc. I bought several other things for almost $100. When I got home I noticed that she actually only gave me 40% off. When I questioned her and asked for the difference back, she told me "Oh well, the difference is for classes." I didn't want any classes, but she refuses to repay the amount she overcharged me. Beware guys when you deal with this type of retailer. I have ways to deal with this including a lawyer who will handling this for me. There is always the Atty General, BBB, or TV's "I witness wants to know". But it spoiled my joy of using this machine. I may also complain to Viking regarding these shady practices. The Serger is fine. I don't need classes as I have had a Serger before. Her classes are not classes, but sales pitches. Frustrating! Have any of you had to deal with a retailer like this? Any suggestions.