Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31*** >

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Texastam View Post
I really want to try this block exchange. I went and looked at your previous Boom and I am a little intimidated by some of the talent here wowser!! My blocks will not be as intricate as some but I am sure some more simple blocks will be welcome in a quilt I hope.
So, sign me up please. This should be fun!

Any suggestions on on what kind of fabric not to use?
Texastam, Boom 20 was my first boom. I was nervous and intimidated by the talented group of swappers on this group also. I jumped in and I am so glad I did. I took my time. I made practice blocks of new EZ patterns I found.. I usually made 2 or 3 boom blocks using a new pattern. Then I looked for another great block. I bought a used book on amazon based on a great tip I got on this thread. “Around the Block” and “Around the Block again” both have many great block patterns. Enjoy and have fun!!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Oh I thought the ruler went on top to cut but I thought Janice checks them by putting the square on top of the ruler. I started doing that too. You’d think if you cut it with the ruler it should be fine. Thanks for the correction ladies.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Measuring!

Heavens to Betsy, did I make a typo somewhere? The completed and pressed block must be measured under the acrylic square. Not. On. Top. Pardon me immensely if I made a mistake or a typo and wrote it the opposite way. There’s absolutely no reliable way to measure the block, much less trim it if necessary, if the acrylic square is not on top. Thank you to Billi and anyone else who picked up that error.

Last edited by Janice McC; 05-17-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Speaking of fabrics and requests

This is the different indigo's that I am sending some of you side swapped with last round me so you will get to play with them again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594542[/ATTACH]

Hey kass do you see anything that speaks to you this round?

This is the insert going in with my f8's

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Georgia; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}</style>Boom 21
Hi ladies, I am sending a variety of indigo fabrics and I am asking that only solid white or wow be used. Since my fabric is almost like a batik it can be very difficult to tell the front from the back. Please use the side I have folded out it is a crisper and more clean look. I am making 2 couch quilts that are going to a husband and wife. The blocks will be turned on point, so please be aware of that if you are doing appliqué or embroidery. Thanks for swapping with me Billi

Attached Thumbnails all-f8s-going-out-boomers-.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Billi, your fabric choices are yummy. I love indigo and whites. My favorite color is yellow, so I would suggest a yellow sashing. (Even tho you didn’t ask for my opinion lol)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quick FYI, when sending me an email to sign up (yay!) please be sure all your info is correct, especially your board name if you are new to the Booms. I do a mini-search on everyone and if I cannot find your name, I cannot add you to the group. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Wow!

Im a newbie too and I signed up*gulp*.

i remember reading the previous boom threads when I first got here and was so impressed with the talent and skill. I’m excited to learn from you all!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Clarification: I’d prefer everyone use a minimum of 10 -12 stitches per inch. Ten is iffy, especially on thinner fabrics but I’ve had comments that some find frogging (ripping out stitches) too tough above 10 per inch. Please use enough so that the seams are firmly in place and can withstand a bit of handling. Thank you!
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I would add that scant quarter inch seams are ok too, and you may need to use them to get your block to come out 12.5". But be sure they are a scant quarter inch, and not 1/8".

Also Janice has asked us to use between 10 and 12 stitches per inch in our seams, so the seams hold up to multiple washings, etc.

Ditto on buying that 12.5" square ruler. You really need it to check and square up the blocks.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 AM

You use whatever fabric you wish as long as it's 100 percent cotton quilting fabric. You don't need to make intricate blocks; some of the finest classic blocks aren't complicated. While i hope everyone expands their skills a little now and then, it's a foolish person who jumps way above their skill level when using someone else's fabric. Start with blocks you are comfortable with and build on those. One of our last round's Boomers, Maudeflanagan, made a practice block out of her own fabric before she used her partners' fabrics. While that isn't always necessary, it was pretty darn smart because she knew what she was getting herself into and she ended up with enough blocks for two quilts...those made for her and her sample blocks. Great idea. Check out post #1805 for the practice quilt and #1964 for the Boom quilt she's making from the blocks she received. Boom 20: Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group
[Texastam;8059690]I really want to try this block exchange. I went and looked at your previous Boom and I am a little intimidated by some of the talent here wowser!! My blocks will not be as intricate as some but I am sure some more simple blocks will be welcome in a quilt I hope.
So, sign me up please. This should be fun!

Any suggestions on on what kind of fabric not to use?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Janice McC; 05-17-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: adding additional info
Old 05-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Love those indigos... and I bet Kass wants the diamond striped one!

Welcome PamelaOry! We love newbies. Hope you have a blast doing your first boom.