Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31*** >

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Old 05-16-2018, 11:49 AM

I would like to sign up for 3month. Info sent.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Kassaundra - Beautiful quilt. You are so talented!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Very pretty Kass!!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Thanks ladies, I really like how it turned out front and back.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM

Kass, your quilt is awesome!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Hi I am new to doing Boom exchanges but am glad to try it out. I have some fabric I fell for and bought all the coordinates to make a quilt and uhmmm, well, it is still in a bin looking pretty, uncut and unused. It is time to make it a quilt! I am looking forward to sharing it with you to cut up, sew and turn it into blocks.

I am also looking forward to seeing all the fabric selections you have and making blocks that will be in your quilts.

If you have any stories to share about your experiences in these exchanges please share here or in PM, whichever you prefer.

I do have a few questions. What happens to the leftover fabric from the F8? How do you know what background fabric color to use so the finished quilt isn’t a mix of white and creams? (of course, unless that is what the recipient wants How many people chose to add a coordinate fabric? If so, what is a suggested size?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing all the fabric and blocks in progress.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

Hi Shannon! Glad you are going to give this a try!

The leftover fabric is usually kept by the block maker. Each person includes a small note with their F8, stating what colors they want you to use. Sometimes they will provide a paint chip or small scrap so you can match colors. As it happens, I’m sending coordinates to be used with my fabric. How much you want to send is up to you. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:38 AM

Welcome to the boom darcyshannon, and what Sewbiz said.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:20 AM

Good morning, Boomers! It’s another rainy day in beautiful Georgia, the second of what looks to be about 10 days of rain. Well, I’ll try to think of it as piecing weather.

We’ve 19 in the 3 month group and 9 in the 2 month group as of this morning. We are well on our way.

Please remember as you prep your fabrics to please pre-wash, remove selvage, press and then cut into pieces 11x18 inches. Please make sure the entire selvage is removed, not just the undyed part. A lot of the time the selvage edge extends further out than you think at first glance. When you package your fabrics up, please put them in individual small zipper baggies, the kind without the hard zipper. Your board names should be easily visible on each Baggie and if you have color requests, make sure to include those with every piece. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and you all know I’ll use all one thousand given the chance, does anyone have a properly prepped Baggie ready? If so, please take a pic and post it here for our newbies to see. If not, I can go make one up. Thanks!

Darcyshannon, welcome! As SBG said, it’s customary for the block maker to keep the remnants. If, howvever, you are very short of fabric you may request it back. Many Boomers use most of the f8 in a block so there may not be much to return. When you make your requests, you may request neutral background or white or cream or whatever. It’s never a good idea to be too strict with your requests as it takes a lot of the maker’s possible creativity out of the process. There will be a wide range of block styles and fabrics. That’s the nature of this swap. As for the size of your coordinating colors, that’s up to you. If you only want a touch of it, maybe a 6x6 inch piece is enough. If you want a lot, consider half a fat 8th or even more. It’s up to you. Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:51 AM

Welcome Darcyshannon

Sewbiz covered it well my advice is do not panic when the fabric arrives. My first boom the second my package arrived and I had those F8's in my hand, I was a mess and all of the unique idea's I had for each persons fabric flew right out of my head. Nothing seemed right hahahaha

There are no rules on the type of block other than 12.5" square do you like to do appliqué? machine or hand go for it. Do you love very tradition patterns or more modern blocks make the one that appeals most to you. Sometimes you will learn that a few of our swappers LOVE star blocks any kind of star block if you want to make then go for it. If you see something in in the fabric make that instead. Part of joining this swap is taking advantage of someone else's creativity. All of those unique, fun, different, and creative blocks makes for an awesome quilt. It's amazing how well they will play with each other.

My last note is don't rush through them to be first one done A few of our boomers are quite experienced at this and incredibly organized they get well made beautiful blocks done in what feels like seconds. Don't let that pressure you to go faster. You have till the posted dates that will not change if you need every one of those dates take them you are not holding anything up. Don't wait till the last minute to start either it can be difficult to do your best when faced with a deadline and having to sew at 2 AM.

I have done different requests I have said GO FOR IT do what ever a couple of times I have selected a color or two thats in my fabric and ask that only that be used. I have sent 2 fabrics an F8 of my focus and of my second and asked that only black or white also be used. That one I made the mistake of sending to large of a piece and a few blocks had way more than I wanted used. I suggest if you only want a small amount of it used send a 12x12 or smaller piece of the coordinating along with the F8. Yes I am using every one of those beautiful blocks it just changed my vision of the quilt and I had to change my setting idea. Personally I love knowing who the quilt is for it helps me choose a blocks. Is it for you your soon to be teenaged son or daughter? your workmate, or elderly neighbor? Are you making for a donation or will you decide later who gets it?

This round I am sending a variety of indigo's and asking for only white or wow be used with them. my note also tells who is going to receive the 2 quilts I am making from the blocks and that they will be on point so if they want to do an appliqué or a very direction block it will be sitting correc tly when I am done.

Take a big breath decide on a block and dive in. It will get easier with each block and each boom. Last note is go to the dedicated boom thread read and be part of the group. We love seeing progress and hearing about everything going on in each others lives.

Welcome to the booms

Last edited by Billi; 05-17-2018 at 05:09 AM.