Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31*** >

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Old 05-17-2018, 05:02 AM

Hi, Darcyshannon! Welcome to the Booms. Just happened to have my fabric right here, ready to go after final count is given.
If this is a repeat, forgive me, but the one thing we can not specify is what block pattern to use. That is entirely up to the block maker. Your choice totally. E.G.- I'm asking for a COC background and matching yellow TOTs, no other prints. There are several different yellow tones in my fabric, so anything matching one or any of them will work. You could use one fabric or more- up to you.
Just don't panic like I did my first Boom. Just take out a couple of packets at the time to work on and have fun with them. Oh, and we do l-o-v-e pictures!
Attached Thumbnails 101_0741a.jpg  

Last edited by Libster; 05-17-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:46 AM

What Billi and Libster said. Thank you ladies.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:04 AM

I really want to try this block exchange. I went and looked at your previous Boom and I am a little intimidated by some of the talent here wowser!! My blocks will not be as intricate as some but I am sure some more simple blocks will be welcome in a quilt I hope.
So, sign me up please. This should be fun!

Any suggestions on on what kind of fabric not to use?

Last edited by Texastam; 05-17-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM

Well I’m not in this boom but I’ll add my two cents. If you are sending a second and maybe third fabric it’s nice to have one piece that’s 13 x 13. This is true especially if you want boomers to only use the fabrics you send ( unusual but makes the blocks very coordinated) . This always helps me as I like to do applique.

I cant think of any fabric that you can’t send as long as it’s 100% cotton. I used Day of the Dead dancing skeleton fabric for my first quilt. The results were fantastic. Be specific in what youre looking for to match your fabrics but it’s nice to have lots of options. Examples match the yellows reds or oranges in the fabric. Tone on tone or solids. Only prints that read as solids. White and black. Of course you can say anything goes.

The boomers are very helpful to beginners. They helped me increase my skills a lot. Answered a lot of questions. There are some master quilters in this group. They were very receptive to the odd blocks I made, as I’m not very traditional. I find getting to design 19 blocks really expanded my creativity.

When making the blocks these are the three most important things:
1. The square is 12 1/2”. Put your finished block on top of the 12 1/2 square ruler is what Janice suggests. It is worth it to buy this ruler if you are doing the boom. Go to Joann’s with a 50% off coupon.

2. The seams are 1/4 “. Seams that are too small won’t hold up in the quilt.

3. You use a regular stitch NOT a basting stitch.

I will be living vicariously through the group. I’ll be finishing up my boom UFOs while you boomers are working your magic.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Texastam, so glad to have you join us! Read the entire first post in the thread, as all of your questions are covered there, plus so much more information. It also tells you how Janice wants you to sign up for the swap. We don't sign up here in the thread.

Looking forward to building blocks with you and getting to know you, too!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM

Kass - wowser - I have enjoyed "watching" you put this together and all the hand work .I know you love it and I certainly love seeing it all come together.
SewBiz - I always pick the three month group. I am normally finished early and wonder why I didn't do the 2 month - but I don't feel stressed and rushed. And life happens and I like knowing I have time to let it.
Texastam - Oh come on in and join us. Any 12.5" square block will be loved on. Any 100% cotton prewashed fabric is acceptable. This is your vision. We have done checks, swiggly lines, small prints, large prints and solids. Anything goes- and that is why I have learned so much.
I can recall when I looked at a piece of fabric and said "what are they thinking" and "what can I do with this". And the end results were beautiful.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post

When making the blocks these are the three most important things:
1. The square is 12 1/2”. Put your finished block on top of the 12 1/2 square ruler is what Janice suggests. It is worth it to buy this ruler if you are doing the boom. Go to Joann’s with a 50% off coupon.

2. The seams are 1/4 “. Seams that are too small won’t hold up in the quilt.

3. You use a regular stitch NOT a basting stitch.
I would add that scant quarter inch seams are ok too, and you may need to use them to get your block to come out 12.5". But be sure they are a scant quarter inch, and not 1/8".

Also Janice has asked us to use between 10 and 12 stitches per inch in our seams, so the seams hold up to multiple washings, etc.

Ditto on buying that 12.5" square ruler. You really need it to check and square up the blocks.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM

I'm going to interrupt and put my 2 cents in here.... thats backward you need to put the square on top of the fabric otherwise you may not get an accurate measurement.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM

Welcome Texastam to the boom. We are all at different skill levels and simple or complex w/ all love a well constructed boom blocks. I don't think you could come up w/ a fabric print type we haven't tackled yet lol. Dancing skeletons, potent potables, stripes, dizzying wavy stripes, bra's, eiffle tower, polka dots, civil war"ish", low volume, all the same color in one block, zebra stripe, animal print, circus animals, dr suess, space, comic strips, star wars and a lot more! lol
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Billi View Post

I'm going to interrupt and put my 2 cents in here.... thats backward you need to put the square on top of the fabric otherwise you may not get an accurate measurement.
You are right... I missed that! Ruler always goes on top of the square!