Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt your own? >

Do you quilt your own?

Do you quilt your own?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 AM

I've only sent out one to be long-armed. Everything else was either by my machine, but most hand-qulited.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 AM

I make my quilts from beginning to end. First time I quilted a queen size on my Juki, I struggled. But I got the hang of it now, and I practice Leah Day's quilting. Feeling good about it now.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 AM

I quilt my own by machine, nothing larger than a full size so far. I can't get past the fact,that if I send them out to a longarmer, then I didn't complete the quilt,they did. Just a hang up of mine! They are just beautiful from the longarmer's, but mine people aren't afraid to use. I am thinking my next baby quilt I will hand quilt, I could see that. Maybe someday a longarm in my future, ha! I would have to produce lots and lots of quilts to justify that and I don't have the time to do it. Quite an expense too and I wouldn't turn it into a business,so I will stick to what I am doing when the time I have to do it!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 AM

i also do my own mostly hand or tied,just learning machine quilting, hmmmm its a struggle tho, but will keep trying
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 AM

I have only sent 1 quilt to be machine quilted (my king sized bed quilt for my husband). My machine is not big enough to handle such a big quilt. And I made it with batik fabrics so it was very heavy. I usually stitch in the ditch or do a simple grid pattern. Been praticing with the BSR. I think I am getting pretty good, just not brave enough to use on a quilt I am giving away.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 AM

I have a longarm so machine quilting here
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 AM

I take in customer quilts to longarm quilt, and my friends tease me asking who I'm going to hire to quilt my quilt tops. I keep really busy with customer quilts - probably because I make less then minimum wage on them. But I simple LOVE quilting on my longarm Gammill.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by schwanton
For now, I hand quilt all my quilts and will attempt fmq on my present project, a baby quilt. I have decided to wait until my hands are not able to quilt anymore (arthritis) before I will consider sending them out.
I did fmq my baby quilt. It turned out so well, I also fmq my guild challenge (very small - 14" square). This is fun, I will be doing this again! But I still enjoy handquilting - very relaxing!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM

I do small stuff on my Brother, and the larger quilts/wallhangings etc. I quilt on a frame with my Juki mid arm.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I do all my own from start to finish. On a cheapy Brother machine mechanical with no bells or whistles. Well, it does have a needle threader. I can FMQ on it and I have even done a king size. It was a challenge to shove it through that small space, but, it was only SITD so nothing fancy. I get tempted by the fancy machines, but have just about finished a lap sized top on my new to me treadle. And that has been a real pleasure. I think I'm going to quilt on it too. I read where I can lower the feed dogs, but might just cover them up with the slippery slidey thing if I decide to FMQ or might just SITD. I have also handquilted and like that. I find I don't enjoy hand piecing all that much.