Pit bulls

Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 PM

There were 157 dog bits in our county last year. Out of the 157, three were pit bull mixes. Only the three pit bull bites made the news. They were mix breeds who knows what they really were. Know one would tell what the breed of the other 154 bites were.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 AM

A familymember had a pittbull. It was the most lovely adorable dog in the world( except mine offcourse :) ). It was a cutie pie that was a little to big. :))

It's never the dog. It's the owner who is at fault.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 AM

This will be long but I don't know how to shorten my story. My husband from a sudden heart attack in 1987, he was only 48. His funeral was on Wednesday, on Saturday morning I was awaken by a terrifying sound. Like a small child being beaten or something. A high squeal or scream. My house was full of family because of my husband death and we had let our Spitz outside in a stockade fenced yard for the night. The pit bull next door which was usually chained had gotten loose, climbed a stack of firewood which was stacked against the fence and when I opened my window there it was with our beautiful Ski on the ground, shewing her head and slinging her around. With all the screaming my son was outside in a flash, but it was really already too late. We rushed Ski to the vet and he did surgery but he died the next day. I don't really know too much about dogs, but I have been told breeding for aggressiveness is a problem for a lot of pit bulls.
I would never trust my grandchildren around one.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 AM

I found this very interesting. Thank you all very much.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that they know nothing about the dogs' parents... that said, they do take good care of the dog, they are a newly married couple and it's their only "baby" so far.

Still, to be honest, I am a wee bit freaked LOL

Thanks again, you've given me a lot of info.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:28 AM

My son has 2 pits...one male..neutered and a female...spayed. The worst thing that I've seen them do is to lick someone to death..or try to be "lap dogs". They are full grown babies who love to come see grandma and grandpa and Uncle Jimmy. The female thinks that my miniature furbabies are her babies that she need to protect. My miniatures are not fond of her because she is so large so I have to kennel my babies when they are visiting. (not fair to mine but safer for them since one of mine is aggressive) My oldest Pom is aggressive but only when the pits are here.

Years ago in Vegas when my parents were there...they witnessed a pit bull with a harness on and a wagon hooked up to the harness. The wagon was full of kids having fun, but also the dog was having fun hearing the kids having fun.
I do hope that your neighbors will treat and train this dog with everyone else in mind. (Not like my ex neighbors yellow lab and they were newly married with no kids and were school teachers!!!) I've always said that people have to be smarter than the dog to train them. Just my opinion. good luck with your neighbors. :D
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

I think it depends on the neighbors. :wink:
Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Bev

If you are really "freaked out" by the thought of having a pit growing up next door to you, have a 'sit down to Moses talk' with your neighbors. Tell them how afraid you are and ask them to handle the dog in as safe a way as possible. He is very cute now I'm sure, but he will grow to be big and heavy. The thing that's most important about a pit bull, whether he is a calm, sweet one or a mean one, is the amazing strength of the dog. They are the strongest dogs I've ever had experience with. And with a poorly raised one, that can be the most dangerous aspect of him. It's almost impossible to get them to release something from between their jaws unless they actually want to, as in playing ball toss. Otherwise, it's a no-go. This doesn't bode well for a smaller animal, or anything else. All that being said, I loved ours with a passion, and so did everyone else.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM

.........Or, you could make friends with the dog.Talk to him and give him treats (ask first) and he may become your friend.
I'm not a fan of pit bulls, and I know there are good ones and bad ones, but I'm not here to pass judgement. It's just a suggestion.
Here is my experience: A single woman bought the house next to ours when our little guy was about 2, and she had a Doberman pup. I was really worried. While working out in the yard, I would talk to him and go to the fence and he would put his paws on the fence and lick my ears. I always praised him and petted him, and just continued to talk to him. His "Momma" worked nights and he didn't really get much attention. It was so bad that I even called the Sheriff and asked if there was anything I could do. NO. He had adequate shelter, food and water, and lack of attention wasn't against the law.
So today, he guards my property, protects my son and is a wonderful dog. I still talk to him and am his friend. Dobies
aren't necessarily a dangerous dog to start with, but It didn't hurt to befriend him. And dogs know if you like them or not, and can detect your mood.
Good luck!!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Wow...DS #2 found a pit that was going to be put down because he had no where to go :( I wanted to cry... :( I said that we would take him until he found a home....but when that time came....I found that I couldn't give him up. He found a forever home right here. :D I couldn't be more happy with him....house trained...lovable....obeys everything I tell him....has learned to walk nicely on the leash and doesn't pull on the chain when he is out. :D This is great for me since I'm currently in a cast due to having pins in my wrist right now. What a huge baby he is and loves meeting people and making new friends.

I hope that your neighbor treats their baby well and that you won't have any problems with them :D
Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Regardless of how much of a bum rap they may or may not have, I would be leary and very vigilant of the dogs whereabouts. You have no idea how the owner treats the dog behind closed doors, or if they have any experience at all with this type of dog. Sometimes dogs are just of different temperaments..I had 2 Rotties many years back who were raised together, but from different litters. One was a big baby, the other was not to be trusted. Because of a Pit's pure strength and tenacity, i find it difficult to believe they would make a good family pet. The risk is just too high. Having one next door which I had no control in raising would make me nervous. I'm not badmouthing the breed, but it is what it is, and I don;t think most owners have a clue.