Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 AM

I am coordinator for my ASG group. I have a problem with some ladies who voice a negative response whenever a new project is started. Our members have to take a turn and give a workshop once a year. Some members will say they don't want to do it or make comments about not liking the color choice or pattern choice. That is very hurtful to the member volunteering to do the workshop. I have ask them to keep their opinions quiet unless it is a positive one. I have found in my years of experience, there are some women who just must speak out to be important or aggressive. These ladies usually have a very low self esteem problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 AM

People are just rude grown ups are as bad as children sometimes. Sometimes when I get on the chat line here depends on who is there they will ignore you. That is the reason I stay to my self. Everybody has their own clicks and I went through that at school and work. To old for such childish play.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 AM

The only guild that is in our town has a bunch of old ladies in it. Their few quilts that I have seen are very traditional so I know I wouldn't fit in. I love seeing everyones work on here even though sometimes I just want to quit. But I won't it my therapy. cheaper than a shrink. :-) Funny I am 57 and don't think of myself as an old lady. LOL
Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 AM

I too had the same thing happen to me on the very first night. I didn't join because of thier rudeness and clickiness. I really wanted to join one, but won't anymore and it just so happens this is the only one in our huge city. Sorry it happened to you, it hurts when someone treats you like that.

Rita
Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1
The leader of the trip said that my quilts were not really quilts because they were not hand quilted. That was it, no more guild meetings for me. In 2 years, not 1 call to see where I was. I don't need them, their loss.
I simply do not understand this mentality. I am a hand quilter and a machine quilter. I am at the stage where my handquilting looks much better than my machine quilting but if I could machine quilt like Diane Gaudinski or long arm like green fairy wow would I be proud of my quilts and would probably not hand quilt near as much as I do if I had that talent. Even the attitude that tied quilts are not "real" quilts, I just don't get it. Granted I have a special appreciation for hand quilting, not only because I do it but because I know the enormous amount of time and dedication involved but to only consider hand quilting "real" quilts :roll:
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by quilter1
The leader of the trip said that my quilts were not really quilts because they were not hand quilted. That was it, no more guild meetings for me. In 2 years, not 1 call to see where I was. I don't need them, their loss.
I simply do not understand this mentality. I am a hand quilter and a machine quilter. I am at the stage where my handquilting looks much better than my machine quilting but if I could machine quilt like Diane Gaudinski or long arm like green fairy wow would I be proud of my quilts and would probably not hand quilt near as much as I do if I had that talent. Even the attitude that tied quilts are not "real" quilts, I just don't get it. Granted I have a special appreciation for hand quilting, not only because I do it but because I know the enormous amount of time and dedication involved but to only consider hand quilting "real" quilts :roll:
Maybe all guilds should hang a sign with the definition of a quilt. There are just too many quilt police in this world!!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 AM

I have had a similar experience as a new member at my local guild. If I sit at a table with other members, no one speaks to me. If I am the first to sit down, no one joins me. Our guild is putting together a quilt for a big quilt show coming up. The guild voted on which quilt we would do, and selected this one because many members could participate in making the different blocks. The woman who designed the quilt made up kits. I was expecting to participate, but at a meeting it was announced that the kits had been handed out. There was never any opportunity for me to join in.

I've learned from two women in my embroidery class that they had the same experience with this guild. The new membership year starts in June, and I've been going back and forth about whether I want to join. I enjoy the speakers each month, for the most part. I enjoy the BOM raffle and the door prizes, and also the show and tell. I'm kind of thinking I'll join again just for that part and know that, realistically, I'm not going to make any friends there. I'll just take some reading material or handwork to do before the meeting gets started. I'm not going to let a bunch of rude and unfriendly women spoil it for me.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 AM

I tried to join, went to 3 different quilds and decided that was not for me. No one ever spoke to us, my daughter and I. All they seemed interested in was show and tell and what treat we were going to have next week and who was going to fix it. They also cooked big dinners for the upper class of politicians and then wanted us to provide the food, out of our own pockets, and they to serve these people and clean up after them.

I really wanted to learn new tricks for quilting. Didn't happen.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:58 AM

I tried to join, went to 3 different quilds and decided that was not for me. No one ever spoke to us, my daughter and I. All they seemed interested in was show and tell and what treat we were going to have next week and who was going to fix it. They also cooked big dinners for the upper class of politicians and then wanted us to provide the food, out of our own pockets, and then they wanted us to serve these people and clean up after them.

I really wanted to learn new tricks for quilting. Didn't happen.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 AM

I agree life is too short to worry about those you are rude and find a group you enjoy - perhaps start an new group - It seems to be rare that people who quilt are rude. My friend and I just went to the quild retreat and although we were not members, they were very nice to work with and we both learned a lot. I hope you have better luck in the future. Meanwhile, we are here for you.