Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >

Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:46 AM

On my way out the door to supplement the basics in my stash. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 AM

The fabric at my local Walmart raised the price on the 2.44 fabric to 2.97 and on the same stock that has been there for a while. I was in a hurry this morning and just peeked in and going back later as I seen some new fabric. Hoping maybe they will start putting fall and holiday fabric out. I have quite a few projects for gifts and decorating. Has anyone seen any new fall and holiday fabric yet?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:29 AM

I buy fabric whereever it is on sale, or at least, less expensive. But a friend of mine who does long arm quilting says that for and heirloom quilt, not to use WM fabric.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by pam1966
I asked the owner of my LQS about this, and she laughed. So hopefully that means I won't see higher prices there!
That was the reaction at the local shops here in NH, too. The ladies at Keepsake Quilting were not aware of any pending increase in prices. The owners of the smaller shops just rolled their eyes, shook their heads, and said "not here unless our costs go up".
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 AM

I was in our Wal Mart Wednesday and the clerk was increasing all the fabric prices. Time to shop during salea and using all that stash we've built up ! :(
Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM

our walmart got rid of yardage to cut and have put in fat quarters or $1.00 and pre cut 2 yards pieces for $6 and bundles of fat quarters for $6.97 & $10.00. Some of the dollar fat quarters are good quality.

Hancocks has put out new Halloween fabric and some Christmas. I was in a Joann's last week and they have toms of Christmas....but so do I. I've collected Santa fabric for years.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 PM

I've been building my stash, because someone was kind enough to warn me a while back that prices were going up. Everyone thinks I'm bonkers, but with the way things are going, there may not be any fabric to buy, at least at a price we can afford.

About WalMart, I detest it, but one day I did find some very nice material there... lovely hand... that's when I found out they were closing out their fabric. You just have to know good fabric, as we all learn to do, and keep an open mind, wherever you find it. I think the LQSs are going to be eating a lot of expensive fabric. A local LQS near me is going out of business, and I hate to see that, but even their going-out-of-business prices are too high for me, since my quilts are not exhibit quality.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM

If WalMart is not happy about keeping their fabric depts., maybe they've decided to make more money from the ones they've kept. just a thought...
Ghostrider - I did have someone at the cutting table (behind it, cutting) tell me that every time a shipment comes into Keepsake, the price is a little higher. Not sure if this is true or not. Kind of like boiling a frog, if it goes up just a little, not as painful than if it goes up a lot.
I quilt with a much younger person. She just doesn't get it when I start mumbling when I see a bolt marked 9 dollars and up. I may not be ancient yet but I do remember quilt shop fabric at a much lower price...as many of us do, I'm sure.
I'm glad that I have a decent stash as well. Looking forward to slicing more up this summer to stitch back together. :)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I remember paying $8.00 (it was probably only $7.99) a yard for some fabric at a LQS about 20 years ago. It was something my Mom had wanted and I had driven all over the area looking for it. It was pink roses on green and red roses on black.

I also remember my Mom paying $10.00 for a metallic with birds on it. Also about 20 years ago.

And I remember paying $8.00 for a cat print from about that same era. I was into cat prints at the time.

I don't remember seeing any regularly priced fabric EVER in a LQS in the 20 years I've been shopping for "cottons for quilting" for less than $5.99/yard.

Some shops do have their sale/closeout sections where it is marked down.

So - - have the prices gone up? Yes, but not by nearly as much as postage and gasoline and medical care.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 PM

As much as I hate the increase of pricing of fabrics, there is just nothing we can do about it. Boycotting would send a sign out yes, but would it really make a difference, when they know the market is out there and eventually we would buy anyway. It is as in everything else, a purge on the goodness of our country, it has been said by many, how we wish things could revert back to how it was when we were growing up, and that is a nice thought and wish, but it just is not going to happen. Excuses and reasons why things go up will continue and we the people will have to dig in and shell out.. It's the American way they say..