Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 PM

I have and use both Fiskar's and Ginghers. I have to admit that I use my Fiskar's with the spring handle more than my Gingher's which are the same size. They are much lighter and there is much less stress on my hand when cutting

(FYI: Both Fiskar and Gingher are owned and made by the same corporation. If you go to the Gingher web site there is a link to the Fiskar web site.)
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Just the plain Fiskars for $10. They have left handed ones too. When they get dull they get demoted to house hold scissor. Friskars would be my second choice. Heard good things about the Gingher ones. Just too pricey for me as my kids and DH "borrow" and use my scissors for all kinds of stuff rendering them useless for quilting.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Just the plain Fiskars for $10. They have left handed ones too. When they get dull they get demoted to house hold scissor. Friskars would be my second choice. Heard good things about the Gingher ones. Just too pricey for me as my kids and DH "borrow" and use my scissors for all kinds of stuff rendering them useless for quilting.
Put a tiny padlock around the handles and hide the key.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Ginghers are the very best and she will be so-o-o-o pleased. However, as a former RN, I reach for the bandage scissors I carried in my pocket for years. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Leah, I love your photo of your scissors!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Whoops, I meant, LEAHA, I love your photo of your scissors!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 PM

A good SHARP pair. I have several pairs of Gingers, Fiskers, and "cheap" sewing scissors that came in a set that are really good...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Ginghers are very good, and they have a sharpening service on their brand of scissor, if you live in the USA. I have a pair of Serasharp (hope the spelling is correct) that have served me for over 30 years of solid use as well as some Solingen which have been equally as good.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

I have a 30 year old pair of Fuller Brush scissors. I have them sharpened every two or three years and they are still going strong.So im not in the market for any new ones just yet.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Originally Posted by dunster
A friend introduced me to Kai scissors, and I bought them online in several different sizes. I've also seen them at quilt shows. They're great!
I was a Gingher girl through and through...that is until I tried Kai. Kai is a hard to find brand, but they are available online. I bought my at the Houston quilt show. They have the best edge and are so lightweight. I still have a my Ginghers, but I find myself never reaching for them. Kai all the way

:D
Kai was my first rotary cutter. I have never replaced the blade and have made at least 60 quilts with it. It is still cutting without effort. I bought it because the blade retracts automatically when not in use.