Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Ginghers
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 PM

The last time I asked about scissor sharpening at JoAnns, I was told that they don't do it anymore because of insurance issues!? I just bought a pair of Fiskars that they use at the cutting table. They love them and they're very reasonable.

Originally Posted by donnajean
I've seen signs at JoAnns about knife/scissor sharpening on certain date. Call you local JoAnns & ask if they have this service.

I'm still using my Ginghar sewing scissors from the 60's. I think my small scissors for snipping threads while quilting & cupping applique pieces with Steam n' Seam attached is a Mundal.

Originally Posted by gale
DH bought me a new pair of Gingher scissors a couple years ago-they ones with the gold handle. I love them. I had Mundial before that and they were great too. The Mundials needed to be sharpened though, and I don't know where to take them. The last time I had it done, they came back the same as how I sent them (I think it was a barber shop that time).
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM

i just use a pair of Fiskars because i dont use them that often i use my cutter or rip my material so getting a exspensive pair would not make a differance to me but i did notice someone else said they dont stay sharp very long and i noticed mine were getting dull i have used them for about 4 years and never sharpened them
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Before that, I always bought Fiskars, but was never able to find anywhere to get them sharpened, and they only seemed to stay sharp for a year or two.
I have a number of pairs of Fiskars too, and have the same problem with them getting dull fairly fast. However my Joann's has the sharpener man come every other month, so I space my sharpening out over a few months in order not to have one big bill. I'm a big scissors person. My DH got me some Ginghers for Christmas last year and I love them too. How often do Ginghers need to be sharpened? Can anyone estimate for me. So far mine are doing fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM

My favorite are LEFT HAND CUTTING SCISSORS. I love these scissors and no one, absolutely no one in my house, will use them. They are all mine!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 PM

It didn't matter what type of scissors I bought or what threats I made to my brood, they always got commandeered and used to cut paper, cardboard, flowers, wire, you name it. Scissor abuse. So, if there are children in the house I'd advise against buying the most expensive scissors and opt for the easily replaceable ones, like middle of the road Fiskars.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
It didn't matter what type of scissors I bought or what threats I made to my brood, they always got commandeered and used to cut paper, cardboard, flowers, wire, you name it. Scissor abuse. So, if there are children in the house I'd advise against buying the most expensive scissors and opt for the easily replaceable ones, like middle of the road Fiskars.
You can padlock the handles together. Keeps everybody from using them.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 PM

My step daughter used to tel me that the Ginghers is the best one here but I never try yet. I brought Singer scissor
from Thailand cause in my country, Singer scissor is the best one there and Its sharpeness is last long...my mom used to have one Singer since she was teenager. It's conditions still very good...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
You can padlock the handles together. Keeps everybody from using them.
I sometimes tied to them a long rope with a honkin' big sign on the end that said, "Mom's -- keep your mitts off". It didn't even slow the little buggers down. Now they are all grown and gone, and I wish they were still here stealing my scissors.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
A friend introduced me to Kai scissors, and I bought them online in several different sizes. I've also seen them at quilt shows. They're great!
I love....love...love my Kai scissors.
They are soooo sharp.