Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by patimint
Its not so much that I don't like art quilts. Just wonder if I would ever be able to make one. I love the traditional one, but I agree, most the prized in quilt shows go to art quilts, or at least it seems like that to me.
It looks like there are plenty of prizes for traditional pieced and appliqued quilts plus categories for art and innovation in both piecing and applique.

http://www.quilts.org/winners.html
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Here's what I do at shows: (just got back from Houston).
I walk pretty fast through the whole show. I stop and look at the quilts that interest me or that I think are pretty and/or unusual or beautifully traditional. In my opinion, it's all art. As in a museum, some of the art I like and some I don't and some I'm indifferent to. When I'm done looking and admiring and maybe looking again and maybe yet again at quilts that I want to keep in my mind's eye, then I leave, almost always happier for the experience.

Dana
Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 PM

The art quilts are truly beautiful and done by artists but there will always be a place for the traditional quilts. I lean toward traditional quilting also but I see so many gorgeous machine quilted quilts. There is room for everything at the shows and hopefully those in charge recognize the beauty of all of them.
I want my quilts to be used but I read here one time where someone was appalled when she saw a quilt she gifted on someone's bed. To me there is nothing like the feeling of sleeping under a quilt that is old and soft. I'm using some that are 50 years old and every time I see them I think of the maker.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM

I guess I think that art quilts should be more like wall hangings.. I sure wouldn't want to cuddle up in something so heavily quilted and covered with all sorts of imbellishments! I make traditional quilts, mostly scrap quilts and have pretty much decided to not bother entering them in shows... As long as the judges want to see the art quilts, none of the pieced traditional quilts even get a second look. That's okay, I'm still cozy and so is my family.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
I guess I think that art quilts should be more like wall hangings.. I sure wouldn't want to cuddle up in something so heavily quilted and covered with all sorts of imbellishments! I make traditional quilts, mostly scrap quilts and have pretty much decided to not bother entering them in shows... As long as the judges want to see the art quilts, none of the pieced traditional quilts even get a second look. That's okay, I'm still cozy and so is my family.
You have to enter your quilts in the appropriate venue. The major quilt shows are the places for those stunning, heavily quilted and embellished art style quilts. County and state fairs, and smaller local quilt shows are the venue for traditional pieced and appliqued quilts.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 PM

I think it makes a difference what area of the country you are in. I'm a big lover of contemporary quilts, but I have noticed a big difference in the quilts at quilt shows in California (where I used to live) and Oklahoma (where I live now). Most of the quilts in our show in California were contemporary. But when I moved to Oklahoma 4 years ago, 95% of the quilters in the guild here like and make traditional quilts.

So when I walk through our local quilt show here, there's not much that excites me. I appreciate the traditional quilts, but they don't speak to my heart.

When I went to Paducah 2 years ago, I'm glad nobody took my blood pressure! My heart was racing a mile a minute! Here were TONS of excellent contemporary colorful quilts and wallhangings! I must have walked around all day with my jaw on my chest.

Like one of the other ladies mentioned, it's wonderful that everyone has different tastes and different opinions. It's what makes life interesting!!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 AM

I agree.I appreciate all quilts,the work that goes in any quilt is unknown to non quilters.Guess we all just have diff likes/dislikes for whatever reason.I don't care for big block....no pattern quilts, but that's just me.Seems we need to have diff catagories for diff types,then Best Of Show. JMO

Originally Posted by katkat1946
I have been thinking that the art quilts should be a separate category from the more traditional quilts. It's like comparing apples and oranges to compare them to each other!
Pat
Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 AM

My fingers don't allow hand quilting, there are some wonderful machine quilters. Here is just one example, check out her site,winning quilts etc.http://www.dianegaudynski.net/umbria.htm
Originally Posted by karenfae

But the same goes for the fact that there are very few hand quilted quilts anymore either. I almost wish there where two different kinds of shows - one for traditional hand quilted quilts and one for machine quilting. Art quilts are very pretty but belong more in a category for fabric art - they are so very different than regular quilts that we use for warmth! Sometimes quilt shows seem to have changed from a quilt show to an art show. I do not mean that in a bad way - it is just different from what maybe it was intended to be in the first place?

One big change over in the quilting world though is that (in my opinion) too many quilters are in such a rush that they want to make every quilt pattern they see and do not want to take the relaxing way of quilting by doing it more by hand. And also by doing things the more modern way with machine some are spending a small (and sometimes large) fortune on sewing machines and supplies.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by dunngriffith
Both are beautiful!! Different styles- different people, both are awesome! Right now I am interested in doing the art quilts. I always wanted to be an artist but life didn't allow. Now my hands are not steady enough to hold that brush as well as I require of myself. So Art quilts help me fulfill my artistic dream. There is plenty of room in quilting for all styles. I love and admire all of your work-- Although I don't see any art quilts here. Aren't there some art quilters on this board?
Yeah we're here taking a beating! lol What happens though when a bed quilt is pieced AND appliqued? Made to go on a bed and through the washing machine??? Is it art because of the fancy applique or traditional because of the traditional type piecing?
The smaller shows seem to have more piecing and traditional quilts around here while the large national and international shows attract the cash prizes and art quilts which show up over and over again at all the larger shows to earn points.
So enter your quilts whatever the category so everyone can enjoy them and know that there are those who prefer YOUR type of quilting and would love to see your quilt!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:56 AM

I agree and when I see paint on a quilt I just cringe...I love the pieced, applique quilts but even at our guild I see ladies putting as much applique on a quilt that they can squeeze in LOL, don't know what to look at first