Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

As far as the JoAnn's prices, I think it's just all part of the usual marketing gimmicks that they use. Mark it up to mark it down, so that the customers will get all excited, especially if they can use a 50% off coupon.

But consider... I've seen fabrics on their calico wall that they have priced at $9.99 / yard, and I know for a fact the wholesale price is $3.50 / yard. So they run them on sale at 40% off and the customers think it's a good deal. It's all a game... and apparently it works well, because so many retailers are playing it!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Was going to complain about prices also but then seeing what they are paying in other countries felt it not a great idea. So I guess we all should concentrate on how to quilt with less money. Lets all exchange ideas for obtaining our fabrics at a more affordable price. I used to shop at Walmart until they deleted all the fabric from their stores.
I feel the same
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM

There are two places I like to purchase fabric where the prices are really discounted. I prefer to purchase good quality quilting fabric, but cannot afford the full prices. I'm always looking for discontinued, sale or clearance buys.

My first favorite place is The Stitch-N-Frame shop located in Vicksburg, MS. www.stitch-n-frame.net
Every Wednesday, she posts the "Thursday Special" with many different fabrics marked down. Those specials are good Wed. evening, all day Thursday and early Friday until she turns it off when the store opens.

Every Thursday, the specials change. In addition, she frequently has Fall Specials or Thanksgiving Specials, etc. They are wonderful to deal with and great with shipping. If you tell them you need something asap, it comes fast.

My second favorite place is Whittle's Fabrics in Smith's Grove, KY. www.whittlesfabrics.com
Many of their fabrics are discontinued, but hey, they have name brand quilting fabric and not the cheaper fabrics in the big box stores. If you live close enough to actually visit, the fabric is even cheaper. I've bought Marcus Bros. fabric for as little as $3 per yard.

Finally, I've recently ordered from www.fabricandetc.com which is a quilt shop going out of business. Her items are currently 40% off. I bought 10 sets of Moda charm packs for $4 apiece.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

RIGHT! The same thing happens when the price of oil changes. Gas station prices zoom up immediately. Do you think that's what they paid for the gas in their underground tanks? Nope...they getcha anyway they can.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 PM

wow....wish i could pay that for a meter ....costs a lot more up here
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Can boys say so too. I will find great sheets at the thrift stores and use them wash, starched and ironed, never had a problem.
R
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Wish we could get fabric at that price!!!!
Exactly - books and fabric are astronomical in price here too...(my regular moan about it)...
Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rebeljane
Me too. In Australia quilt shops sell fabric for up to $35.00 per metre
Exactly, and my LQS has some for $75 - she starts at $35...
I go to the next guy who sells his $16 - $26 on average.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
WOW How can you ladies from the UK and Canada AND Australia even afford to quilt? If I didn't have so much stash, I would give it up myself. The key word is SALE! Shop Sales and let others pay the $12 per yard for fabric.......
I wouldn't be able to quilt if I had to buy fabric at Australian prices. It's outrageous. I buy a lot of my fabric online from American stores when the exchange rate is good, or I get it on ebay or wait for sales. There is no way I will pay our prices.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
WOW How can you ladies from the UK and Canada AND Australia even afford to quilt? If I didn't have so much stash, I would give it up myself. The key word is SALE! Shop Sales and let others pay the $12 per yard for fabric.......
Now that the US and Aussie dollar have parity, a lot of people are buying via the internet....so what happens next: At the moment, anything under a thousand does not attract import duty or GST. The latest announcement is that "Just in case some people might be bringing it in and on - selling it at tremendous profit"...the rules are going to change.