Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sewsweet
I want mine cut, if thay give a little more than I was paying for, I may deal with the riping.
:shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
When I worked in a fabric shop that tore we always gave an extra few inches usually two or three But when we cut we were told to cut exact and I notice many times that when I get my fabric home I am short a couple of inches on one end now at shops where they cut I prefer tearing but if you want it cut tell them they probably would love to do it for you
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 AM

I prefer having my fabric torn because then I know it is straight of grain. Very little fabric is lost in trimming off the torn area. That said, almost all stores I visit cut cloth with a rotary cutter.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

I prefer to have it ripped myself. Although it looks shabby its a very small thing to straighten and it instantly shows the grain of the fabric. I loose no more fabric straightening up that raggy edge than I do finding the straight of grain myself. Some material can really be off and its frustrating to get a yard of fabric and loose several inches to it being so wonky. Do you fold your fabric selvage to selvage or with your fold hanging straight and smooth?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Our LQS rips, too, on the idea that it's more accurate than cutting. I prefer it to be ripped, honestly, because I think they're right.
Back in the old days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and our fabric was measured in little 'speedometers' mounted on the tables, all fabric was torn. It indeed is a straighter 'cut,' and if you have really cheap fabric, you can't do it, because really cheap fabric may not be on the bolt straight. Also, some blended or poly fabrics may not tear right, so I'd be glad for a store to tear my fabric.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

One of the LQSs here does, the other ones all cut. I guess I would rather mine be cut too.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 AM

i prefer it cut also , sometimes it distorts the fabric design and to me waste to much , personal perference
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I prefer tearing over cutting. Put a hot steam iron on the edge and it will crimp it back. Also I trim a tiny bit off. I find I loose way more when people cut, several inches on each side.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM

It is very easy to straighten distorted torn fabric. Hold it up and you will see it is a trapezoid. Get a grip on both short ends and give it a good tug along the bias. It will now be a true rectangle. The fabric is distorted due to the processes at the factory, so if you get a cut your grain is always off just a bit. If you fold your fabric selvage to selvage and then once more you will have a bit of of fabric nonaligned along the cut ends when you get it to lay flat, that is due to being cut off grain.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM

I've never heard of a quilt shop tearing fabric. But, I tear myself if I want to find a straight edge or am removing a smaller piece of fabric from a large piece. Its so easy, fast and straight to work from. Remember, you can only tear with cotton.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
PBS

Where I live, here in Ohio, I frequent the Amish fabric shops. Most of them do "cut" their fabric but there is one that "rips". I went there once because I was able to find fabric there that I couldn't locate any where else; plus the price was better. Well never again! The girl measured correctly, but then proceded to rip it way off. I couldn't wait to get it home and remeasured and sure enough it was off, just enough, that I couldn't use it for what I wanted it for! If I go back to that store, I will definitely speak up and have them "cut" the fabric not "rip"!