Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas >

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 AM

I think I need a tissue also, reminds me of my Mama Ruff. She did a lot of the same things as your Grandma.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 AM

What an awesome story. Don't forget to put labels on the quilts you finish for her. That way, your children and grandchildren will know who made the blocks, and who finished it. Those will be awesome heirlooms someday.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 AM

What an awesome treasure you've been awarded! I, too, am misty eyed and am so happy you were given this awesome gift. Your daughter looks adorable in her new jacket!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Please share the tissues. At age 10 I lived with my grandparents for a few weeks. My grandmother did crochet. She tried to teach me and I did learn a few stitches but it was much more fun to play on the playground across the street. She could look at a pattern printed in the newspaper and make it using a magnifying glass to see the pattern better. She died just a few days after we went home. As an adult my childish decision (to play first) is one of my bigest regrets. I do have many of her doillies etc., my childs apron and some doll things she made for me but I still wish I had learned more!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM

I am in tears thanks for sharing. Your mom was so sweet to give you such an amazing gift made by your grandmother Your daughter and her little jacket are precious and the quilt blocks are beautiful have fun I know I would probably be in tears trying to make more blocks just seeing the little notes she had written for each block but what wonderful memories of her you will have.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. The pic of you grandparents with you son is priceless. My grandmother was 60 when I was born and she raised me with my mother. To me, she was the greatest gift from God Almighty except life itself and His Messengers and Revelations. She fed and nutured and taught me. She taught me to sew and tried to teach me how to knit. I inherited all her sewing and knitting tools. Before she died, she gave me a sewing cabinet and the radio table that the sewing machine I learned on rested on. A Depression baby, she saved tiny scraps of binding, elastic, and hem tape. Everytime I manage to use some of it, I feel proud that her effort wasn't wasted. I gave some of her knitting needles (many duplicates) and odd notions to my brother to make into a sculpture with Grandpa's tools. But I use a little bone bodkin everytime I sew to sweep up the bobbin thread. That little thing is a treasure. So I really understand why your mom gave you that box of tissue first. Made God bless all our grandparents for the immeasurable gifts they gave us and may we be blessed for carrying on their traditions and making good use of everything they gave us, from character to quilt blocks.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM

What an incredible gift - you are so right, you mom did give you your grandma for Christmas. It brings tears to my eyes.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM

How very touching and what a fantastic family you come from... Love the pics and story...Enjoy this gift... What a very special one indeed....
Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 AM

What a lovely gift you have received. Your children are gorgeous, treasure them along with the gifts you have recieved as your heritage.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:34 AM

My eyes are full of tears too. What a treasure you have and had in your grandmother...