Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I set Marty up and well what an experience it has been >

I set Marty up and well what an experience it has been

I set Marty up and well what an experience it has been

Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM

So a little back story I purchased a Little Gracie II frame and I had not set her up because I have been intimidated from "Marty" he has scared me. So I had misplaced my quilting foot and don't ask my why but it was under "Marty" So I took that as my sign that it was time to get it running! I fought that silly little machine he was really giving me grief I moved one way that thing stuck out it's foot and sat on my toe. Thankfully my children thought it was funny and once the meds kicked in I too laughed. Well then it was Juki's turn to be set up on the machine well what a fun time that was. I had the base plate reversed and I if I drank well I would have enjoyed a nip right at that moment. Ah now the time I dreaded loading the fabric I sat down with my video and wouldn't you know they use colored fabric that could be used either way AHHHHH!!!! (why oh why do they not show you or tell you use right/wrong side!) So trial and error I should not have trusted my instincts since I was wrong :) Ok 2 hours later really I am not kidding. I had rerolled the fabric on both the backing and the top both were reveresed he he (I am sure if I drank the nip I took earlier would explain this but alas I don't pure me :)) Ok now it would make sense right to get the bobbin ready before I loaded Juki (WRONG) I had to wait till she was loaded that is ok because I had to learn how to do it while it is on the frame anyway right??? OK not make sure you are not drinking anything because it does get funnier... I turn the machine on I had not see what this cruise control thing does there are no videos for it you just have to hit the button and see. I cannot believe I am admitting this but... I hit the on/off button and that thing took off it ran all buy itself and I am standing there frozen (to set the image the feeddogs are down the machine is in one spot) yes I froze I had no idea what to do. Once I woke up I could not move the machine because the knot that was made took me 30 minutes to undo. took deep breath and tried again. This time I had one hand on Juki the other on the on/off button and DING DING DING OFF she went! she glided she circled she did things I could not dream of oh the pure JOY it was to get to this point.. Oh yes the stitches are awful but I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! I love the imperfections I love that the verigated thread does not match I absolutly love that I can set up this machine on my own and I CAN DO IT I can create a beautiful master piece from something so intimidating!!! So that is my story about my little gracie II frame :) Once I am done I will post a picture :)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM

I tried to respond and lost it...
Damn new computer...
Will try again.
Kirsten
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Good for you, Jade, and what a great story- you had me laughing.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
So a little back story I purchased a Little Gracie II frame and I had not set her up because I have been intimidated from "Marty" he has scared me. So I had misplaced my quilting foot and don't ask my why but it was under "Marty" So I took that as my sign that it was time to get it running! I fought that silly little machine he was really giving me grief I moved one way that thing stuck out it's foot and sat on my toe. Thankfully my children thought it was funny and once the meds kicked in I too laughed. Well then it was Juki's turn to be set up on the machine well what a fun time that was. I had the base plate reversed and I if I drank well I would have enjoyed a nip right at that moment. Ah now the time I dreaded loading the fabric I sat down with my video and wouldn't you know they use colored fabric that could be used either way AHHHHH!!!! (why oh why do they not show you or tell you use right/wrong side!) So trial and error I should not have trusted my instincts since I was wrong :) Ok 2 hours later really I am not kidding. I had rerolled the fabric on both the backing and the top both were reveresed he he (I am sure if I drank the nip I took earlier would explain this but alas I don't pure me :)) Ok now it would make sense right to get the bobbin ready before I loaded Juki (WRONG) I had to wait till she was loaded that is ok because I had to learn how to do it while it is on the frame anyway right??? OK not make sure you are not drinking anything because it does get funnier... I turn the machine on I had not see what this cruise control thing does there are no videos for it you just have to hit the button and see. I cannot believe I am admitting this but... I hit the on/off button and that thing took off it ran all buy itself and I am standing there frozen (to set the image the feeddogs are down the machine is in one spot) yes I froze I had no idea what to do. Once I woke up I could not move the machine because the knot that was made took me 30 minutes to undo. took deep breath and tried again. This time I had one hand on Juki the other on the on/off button and DING DING DING OFF she went! she glided she circled she did things I could not dream of oh the pure JOY it was to get to this point.. Oh yes the stitches are awful but I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! I love the imperfections I love that the verigated thread does not match I absolutly love that I can set up this machine on my own and I CAN DO IT I can create a beautiful master piece from something so intimidating!!! So that is my story about my little gracie II frame :) Once I am done I will post a picture :)

Hello. I read your story to my husband and we both laughed because it was like Dejavu (spelled wrong) Believe it or not had almost same experience a couple of weeks ago. Mine is a Hinterberg Frame and a Juki machine. Bought mine from a friend of mine, was so excited, she made it look so easy. Well, stupid me, got brave and decided to try this out. Didn't have machine quilting thread late that nite so decided "hey, I'll just use some serger thread. Ha Ha!!!!" Anyway, when my husband came home from work the next morning and asked what was wrong, I began to cry and tell him how I was now a professional at taking that "THING" apart. I've never took a machine apart that many times before in my whole life! Would think things were getting better and then BAM, knots in the bobbin case & plate, and knotted up in the back of the quilt, including holes in the backing. Also, skipped stitching, loose threads,... I got a blister from my seam ripper that nite. Well, he DEMANDED we go to town, sent me in the store and said "Don't come out without machine thread" I also bought a new fancy seam ripper. WOW, watched a little you tube about proper tension in bobbin and HELLO miracles do happen. Not laughing at you, but laughing with you. So glad I'm not alone in this adventure. Thanks for sharing. It sure made me feel better. :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM

I knew there had to be more of us beginners out there with my story :) I had so much fun really I did getting this thing going. I laughed so much it made my day. Marty is named after my grandfather and I know he was enjoying seeing his granddaugher have SO much fun. Honestly it was like having him right beside me the jokes he made and played :) We really do have to laugh at ourselves sometimes!! I do hope this helps other know that it is hard in the beginning and it will get better. with that dreaded "P" word!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Loved it!!! I too am intimidated by my framesetup and still have not loaded it. I wish you were closer and could help me get over my fears. I too think I would be in heaven once I was able to start the quilting. I have to keep telling myself "I think I can, I think I can......."
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM

Me too!!! I have to admit once you load it you will LOVE IT!!! Just do it maybe we can help walk you through it. I can take pictures if needed. What type of frame do you have??

Originally Posted by Mary M
Loved it!!! I too am intimidated by my framesetup and still have not loaded it. I wish you were closer and could help me get over my fears. I too think I would be in heaven once I was able to start the quilting. I have to keep telling myself "I think I can, I think I can......."
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Jade, Congrats and thank you so much for the laugh! :lol: I really needed it tonight after 2 days of hard driving and 2 more to come if I'm going to make Fort Worth, Texas on Thursday!

I remember when I first got my Innova it took off...being guided by a falling floor lamp! I totally relate to that 30 minutes of ripping to get out the knot of thread! :roll:
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM

that is so much fun
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 AM

I think your story is the same as many of ours. I fought all the way through my first quilt to get the tension correct. Ugh!

Once you click into it- you will never look back! How much fun is that? Now I want a long arm, though the Juki stays.