Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Sewing Machine? >

Your Sewing Machine?

Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM

I was at a sewing class, and was suddenly aware that everyone had fancy expensive computerized sewing machines. I was unexpectedly very embarrassed of my ~$100 Brother machine that I had gotten at Walmart a few years ago. :oops: Which was odd - because I normally don't concern myself with "material things" - no pun intended!
My original machine was a Kenmore that I'd had for about 25yrs - and had fixed 4 times during the last 2 yrs. Finally I kicked it to the curb, and bought the Brother. It seems fine for my needs - basic stitches, but impossible to sew button holes with.
So hopefully I'll get over being prideful until my machine dies a slow and natural demise! In the meantime - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced product that they would recommend?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM

If you are happy with it I would say it doesn't matter.
I bought a second hand Bernina from a friend that was upgrading.
Your friends may upgrade sometime soon and you can buy a used machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you ould go to your local dealer and see ifthey have any reconditioned ones. I love the vintage ones the best, and find them for under 20.00 usually!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM

if you're happy with your machine, don't worry about what others have. plus that's more money you can spend on fabric.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

For class i would want a smaller machine. those big ones break your back especially the embroidery ones. I suggesty a Janome Gem for class. Most of my friends use that as their home machine too.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
np3
Power Poster

There is nothing wrong with your Brother! I have my nice big high end Pfaff and won't take it to classes because it is too heavy and big. I love it but I'm looking for a small, lightweight machine, probably a Brother!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

I take my 25 year old WHITE to class!! My viking is too heavy to haul around, plus all I do at class is a straight stitch.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM

I remember that feeling from the first time I went to a quilting class with my little Pfaff Hobby and saw everyone else's (or it seemed to me) Husqvarna machines! Then, as the years went by and finally bought my own Husqy, it dawned on me that all I really needed was the perfectly good stitching of my little Pfaff! Plus, I didn't have to lug my "good" machine to class or risk damaging it's very expensive hide. :-)

If it sews straight and you like it, the heck with everyone else's machines!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Hey if it works for you and you know how to operate it with all its quirks and idiosyncracies, you are probably way ahead of anyone with their fancy machine. I know I haven't begun to explore the features of my machine and am using the basic stitching features the most! Don't be intimidated! I really wish I had my first electric machine to stitch on. That old Kenmore made the most beautiful stitches!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM

The classes I have attended only required a straight-stitch sewing machine, so I take my trusty little featherweight. I wouldn't want to take my embroidery machine, because you never know what damage a tiny bump might cause.

All my other machines are 30-50+ years old, and way too heavy to be lugging to classes.