Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mary L Booth
I sell now and than. I couldn't make a living but I love when I sell a quilt and since I am retired it give me money for more fabric. I am working on one now and a lady I sew with it going to buy it when it is finished. It is a scrappy log.
Lovely quilt!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:48 AM

I agree with everything said. Having your own business is a lifestyle not a job (even if you love it). Once it becomes your business everything has a dollar value even personal time that should be spent on yourself and family.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 AM

I too will be interested in the discussion on this topic. Am trying to build my stock to start a small baby quilt business. Infant and crib size. I love making them, plan to personalize with baby's name and birthdate on request. Know from experience it is hard to successfully charge what you need from an item, counting your supplies and tons of work. Also worry what is now fun, won't be when I have to do one. Any pointers appreciated.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 AM

I sell quite a lot. Most of my quilts are for sale. It has brought money into the home when we needed it the most and at times it has saved us from an ugly situation, but it is not an income that would support my family and provide the things we need that can not be purchase at the store like health insurance. I could not do it calmly knowing that if the piece don't sell I may not have $ to feed my kids. At this moment I am very careful about making quilts that people order unless they provide the fabrics and pattern, or unless they tell me the theme and leave the rest up to me. In those cases I require 50% deposit and I don't accept returns unless I did something wrong. Is very difficult to make money (is another story if you are a long armer tending to other quilters that understand what you are doing and that you have an equipment and a skill that they don't). When you make a quilt because you like it and want to sell it, you take the chance that people may not think is worth what you are asking for, because they compare it to the one they can get at JC Penney for a fraction of the price. They don't know better. When you make a wallhanging just to try a technique, love a particular color combination or whatever other reason, again, some people will love it but may not think is worth that much, or worse, don't have the extra money to get it.

A lot have to do with the area of the country where you are and the economy.

In the US we still give more value to other arts and even though there is more acceptance to textile arts, we still have a long road to follow and is up to us to push it. I have a collection right now of at least 60 quilts I would like to sell and I am looking for a gallery in NYC that would display them for me. Once I say is fabric they don't seem as interested. Mind you, this are the same galleries that while they say no to my fabric art, they are displaying God knows what made out of garbage or a huge 3D art piece made out of toilet paper rolls(I don't get it). I am sure if I keep pushing it I may find one willing and they idea may change, but I know is not an easy battle.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying. I am not discouraged myself. The more of us push and try the sooner quilting will be seen as an art form to the regular people. I am not talking about the big venues that display huge exhibitions. Those are helping a lot. In NYC we will have 3 quilt exhibits going on at the same time the last weekend in March: The Armory, Quilt show at FIT and the Folk Art Museum. I will have 2 quilts in exhibit at FIT and I am hoping that those 3 shows may open a door to me to sell at other places.

My suggestion is to keep pushing, be proud of the work you do and don't be shy about selling. While I was in upstate NY I went to a local Cafe and asked if I could display my quilts for sale on their wall. They said yes, charged me $100 for 4 months of display, I sold many quilts there. I learned what people wanted. I did a lot of ethnic quilts that sold like hot cakes Wallhanging displaying people were my best sellers. This idea open the mind of the owner of the cafe to rent his walls to other artists and now is a very sought place by all artist to display their arts. My leftover quilts smelled like coffee when I picked them up, but a little sun took care of it.

My best suggestion is to be venturous and try. You may sell more than you think.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The best example of making it work is Bonnie Hunter. She started with quilting for others and now is the no 1 sought after teacher, lecturer, and author. She is booked solid for a year in advance. If you have the energy, the passion, and the personality, and a DH that isn't your shadow, you can make a big success of quilts as your income
That leaves me out. My DH is right behind me. However, he does some quilting too. So, maybe. Just maybe.......
Old 02-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The best example of making it work is Bonnie Hunter. She started with quilting for others and now is the no 1 sought after teacher, lecturer, and author. She is booked solid for a year in advance. If you have the energy, the passion, and the personality, and a DH that isn't your shadow, you can make a big success of quilts as your income
That leaves me out. My DH is right behind me. However, he does some quilting too. So, maybe. Just maybe.......
That part of the husband is not necessarily bad. I can not think of anyone more famous in the quilting world than Alex Anderson, and John is an integral part of who he is. He plays it well and don't interfere, but he is always there. Actually, the company she is with right now is ARJJ (Alex, Ricky, John, Justin). Alex and John are a couple, Ricky and Justin are a couple. It is possible for your spouse to help make your name.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 AM

I took in sewing severral years ago when I was a single mom. doing mending and alterations along with making things for others is a full time job and the schedule has to be met. I did fine but am not sure I want to try it again at my age now.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

After making a couple of my first quilts my husband wanted to know how much we could sell them for and how fast I could make them. Silly man!! After I gave him an estimate of the cost of fabric, the number of cutting and peicing hours, and the cost of having it longarmed, he understood why I laughed at him.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 AM

If you want to pay for your LA machine by quilting for others you need to find out what people are charging in your area, reduce it a little for a beginner and calculate how many quilts you need to do to pay for your machine.
Diane/Wyoming
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM

I started my own business a couple of years ago, selling quilts, purses, and other quilted items. I did pretty good, I made enough to cover the cost of the materials that went into the items, but did not make very much for the time I spent making the items. I was lucky if I made $3.oo an hour
I did sell one of my quilts, please dont laugh but it was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I have made quilts for all my family and friends and giving them away never bothered me, but that really did. I felt like I was selling one of my kids.
I closed my business at the end of that year. I did not lose money, but I did not make any either.