Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension on my Long arm >

Tension on my Long arm

Tension on my Long arm

Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Ugh!!!! :cry: I have spent most of the day trying to get the tension correct on my Avante - Wondering if it might be the cotton/bamboo fabric that I used for backing. Anyway, I have a towa gauge and my bobbin tension is about 200-240 - then I set the top and the bobbin thread show up on top - when I change it - then the top thread shows through the bottom. I am using Signature 100% cotton thread and the same in the bobbin - I believe its 30 or 50 wt. Wondering also if I need to change my needle - have cleaned the bobbin and oiled it - rethreaded etc. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Don't understand how that towa thing works never heard of it till I joined here I have a Gammill Try new needle and new day, sometimes thats all it takes can you try a different material on a sample? without removing what you are working on? Or extra piece of backing so as not to mess up your quilt I hate it when things don't go as planned!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM

top thread showing on the bottom means bobbin tension not tight enough--tweek it a little.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by franie
top thread showing on the bottom means bobbin tension not tight enough--tweek it a little.
Thank you for your suggestions - I had to walk away from it for a while - get too frustrated - tomorrow morning I will try that . Thanks....
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Check the Superior Threads site. There's a wealth of information about machine tension there. HTH!!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Try to loosen the tension of your quilt on the rollers. If it is to tight the threads won't sink.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

A new day is sometimes all it takes.

To save a lot of seam ripping on the actual quilt I try to have extra space with sandwiched scrap fabric pinned beside the quilt on my long arm that I test stitch until the tension is perfect, if I'm having issues.

Keep tweaking. Sometimes it can take a lot of adjusting, then again it can quilt perfect for a long time without any changes in either the top or bottom tension.

I have a Nolting Fun Quilter and have been fortunate most of the time. I like having the spare space to test the tension on before I start the quilt.

Get some rest and good luck in the morning.