Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a warped top? >

What to do with a warped top?

What to do with a warped top?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Don't iron, as in rubbing the iron all over. PRESS, using starch or holding it slightly above and giving it a bunch of steam, then set the iron down. Do that repeatedly but don't rub the iron around or it will "iron" the wrinkles right back out.

Ask me how I know...... :)
Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 PM

I had one do this and I stay stitched the #@##thing all the way around then put it in a rinse cycle -dried it and POOF the offending puff was gone -finished quilting -wrapped it and gave it to my Aunt-in law 30 minutes later[[ I had to comb my hair over the new bald spot]] I haven"t done a triangle since Christmas
Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Please give us a look at it to see how we can suggest a 'repair'.A little creative easing or fabric origami never hurts anyone, but would like to see how much needs to be eased.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Have you ever heard the expression- It will quilt out? Well anything is worth a try. I made one so bad that I called it my tent quilt. Took the parts apart that were the worst and I had not made my seams right. I finally got it done and the first one that came along that liked it, well I gave it to them. Was that mean of me.?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Hey there I love that expression. Must tell the girls at quilting.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Good luck...:)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
rb.

If it's a OBW, you have several seams you could easily adjust by just sewing them a bit wider, without removing anything. Kinda' like making a dart in sewing. If the steam/press method doesn't work.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM

I agree that you need to block the top. Pin to the carpet with T pins, making sure that it is square by using a carpenter's square, and then spray it until lightly damp all over. Let dry naturally and you should not have to press it. That should do it. If not, try to quilt it out.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Ok, um, this is not for me *uh huh*.. I have this OBW quilt top. Finished ready to quilt. Question is it does NOT lay flat. There are a couple spots its warped? not sure if this is the correct wording.. but I am about as done with it as I am going to be and want to quilt it and never do one again. Ok.. at least I don't want to toss it in the fire to start the kindling which of course I have never thought of before now.. I just think it wont take to regular quilting as it might buckle or whatever the correct term is on top. So how do I finish it besides in the fire? I just would love so much to get a couple words of advice here. I am lost :(

Thanks for listening to my P* and moaning. I promise to post if it finishes out with only having to hang my chin to my chest and not my toes.
Is it really wonky? Are you sure it won't quilt out? to be flat? It can't fix a wrong dimension...you have to trim slivers (or more) off to do that.
Are you going to send it off to be machine quilted? THAT will fix minor faults.

It needs to be at least heavily basted to do this. Sometimes this is done to finished quilts to straighten them.

Have you got a big enough flat place you can get wet?
You might have to go outdoors to fix a large quilt.

Have you tried wet blocking the quilt?
Have you heard of this?

Lay the quilt top on something that will hold water, like a big piece of plastic or a shower curtain with the edges turned up a little, about an inch.

Carefully begin to wet the quilt soaking it, but no more water than that. Using a long straight edge, like a long ruler, lay it along the edge, pushing a bit toward the center until the edge is straight. Press it down with your fingers to sort of "squish" the threads in the fabric down flat. Wiggle them just a little bit to move the fibers!
If you have a hump work it flat.

Take a towel and lay it over the quilt soaking up as much of the water as you can, without disturbing the "flattened" parts. Take off the wet towel. Repeat with a dry towel as many times as you want. Not too dry, though Wet, not drippy is what you want.
Leave it to dry undisturbed. Do not touch it until it is completely dry..It will dry faster outdoors, Cover it with a sheet to keep debris off. It will dry OK with the sheet on.
You can use a fan indoors, moving it occasionally.
It will dry flat and square.
It will stay that way!
Just carefully don't stretch it again.
Jeannie
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe this topic has been discussed all day and no one has posted the link to this hilarious video!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7ddTEnA

You've even been using the term "you can quilt it out"...

Haaaaaaaaaa! Watch this cute video and you'll realize you are not alone, and you'll feel better!