Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are there any beauticians here? >

Are there any beauticians here?

Are there any beauticians here?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 AM

This is a sad story of a hair coloring goof. (all similarities to the person posting this is purely coincidental....)

Did anyone ever tell you never to make a phone call after you've mixed hair color?
Well no one ever told this sorry ol' Crone.
What happened?.... I can hear you asking.
Well the SOC (stands for "Sorry Ol' Crone") bought two boxes of hair color, same manufacturer but of different colors.
Again you ask....why?
Because she's bored, and tired of looking so drab grey, and she'd seen a lady of her own generation with her grey hair dyed two similar colors. Lighter in front, darker in back. Professionally done, no doubt.

Just after the colors had been mixed in the bottles, the SOC remembered a call she had to make, so she ran to the other room and did so.
When she returned to the bathroom.....oh oh.....which bottle of color is for the bangs and which one was for the rest????
Both bottles looked exactly alike and had no differentiating marks.
Well, says she, I'm a proud high school graduate of the Public School system, I'll be able to figure it out just by looking at them.
Ta Da!!!
SOC is very proud of herself. Maybe Smug even.
She commences to put the obviously lighter color on her bangs and the darker on the rest of her head.

She, the high school graduate that she is, sets the timer per the directions, adding extra time, per directions, for her "resistant grey hair". Who says public school graduates can't read?

All is well as she watches the Today Show while the magic takes place.

When the timer goes off, she skips to the shower and washes "that grey right outta her hair" while smiling a smile.

Then she, again smugly, grabs her hair dryer with much anticipation.
Rrrrr Rrrrr says her hair dryer.....but her hair looks odd.
Hmmm....what could have gone wrong? again you're asking such logical questions.

The colors got mixed up.
She now has very dark bangs and lighter hair all over, just the opposite of her plan.

What will SOC do now?....
She'll ask for help at the QuiltingBoard, of course!!

I used (I mean SOC used....lol) non-permanent coloring that washes out in a month.
Is there anything I (again I mean SOC) can do to hurry it up?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 AM

OMG, I can't help but laugh at you, er I mean her!
I haven't done that but I have had some hair dye fiascoes.
good luck to her and please let us know how she turns out.
I wish she'd let us look, you know, to better advise.
:roll:
Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Many people will scream when I post this and tell you I'm crazy, but I would re do the whole thing today. I've dyed my hair every color that exists in nature and a few that don't. If I didn't like it when I washed it, I'd just dye it a different color. One memorable week, I was a blonde, redhead and brunette within 3 days time because I didn't like what I had done.

My hair never got crunchy or fell out or any of the other horror stories I've heard. Maybe I'm just lucky, but if I have another dye disaster I will redo it again the next day.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM

There's a color remover called "oops" that could help remove the color, or at least make it lighter in the right spots

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Oops-Rem...0288954&sr=1-1
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM

DO like I did when I decided to color my gray to the original red I use to be. Scream, cry and call the local salon and cry help!~ It will cost you...but isn't that what lessons are all about?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM

You could do one of two things, a soap cap (this is a few tbsp of powdered bleach and developer mixed in with shampoo) apply to wet hair and let sit for about 10 minutes. The second option is a bit easier on your hair but not as likely to work. You can make a baking soda shampoo. Baking Soda opens the cuticle to let the color out a bit. Mix a few TBSP of baking soda with shampoo and scrub into wet hair and let sit for like 10 minutes.

Or you can just wait it out. Another option might be to use the dark color, go buy a second bottle, on the back of your hair to blend the two colors better. It won't give you the lighter front you wanted, but it will even things out a bit probably.

Me personally, I'd go have a nice time letting someone else deal with it at the beauty shop, they have the equipment and expertise to help you get the look you want :)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Good Luck to her ... whoever that may be LOL or you just started a new trend !!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I would go with the darker color for now, redoing the light that same color, then just wait & try the two tone again later. I have dyed mine closer together than what they say, & have never lost any hair either. Just condition it good each time you shampoo & take good care of it, you should be fine! I am not ready to let mine go gray either, & may never be. Just my preference, lol...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I am no help. I have never put anything on my red hair except shampoo. I have been told if you put the wrong color on it will turn purple. I love to wear purple, just not on my hair!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM

I have to :lol: AS I sit here in MY LUCY RED HAIR! 28 WASH OUT Thank God!! But thats ForEver!!! 8-)