Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vat
I haven't been into quilting but about 7 years and have NEVER EVER used a sheet for a backing. I have been told by National Teachers that really good cotton fabric and cotton sheets are not woven the same. The cotton is different and when stitched the needle will split the cotton causing it to break and you not even know it. After you put lots of work into the tops why would you not want the best you can get for the back. If you watch sales you can get 40% or more off and then buy your backings instead of risking the life of hard work.
Vat, this is a tender subject. Because Quilt shops want to sell good fabric and the prices are to high right now.
Some think the quality is not there, I say, pick up a piece of quilt fabric and look at it through the light, then a sheet. Same or no difference?
And yes I this subject has been posted on several LAQ sites that I visit, and I'll tell you most say you may use sheets.

If you get on the Poly vs. cotton fabric, I will choose cotton.
These sheets are 100% cotton. I use them (although a larger thread count) on my bed, they wear wonderfully. Any needle holes in cotton will be small and when washed always shrink around the thread, whether it is a sheet or quilt fabric.

I have been quilting for 17 yrs, LAQ for 8 yrs or more, I have heard NO sheets and sheets. Personal preference, or pocketbook will speak.

I will make quilts to give as gifts and use sheets. My personal quilts I usually have a theme on the backing as well and use quilt fabric.

For the next conversation... lets talk batting! or maybe not!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM

If you really want to try sheets for backing, go to a thrift shop and check out the sheets there, usually the fiber content is on the label. Try to get all cotton, also look for softness, you can ususally get king size sheets for under $5.00. Just remember that sheets are usually harder to quilt through because of the thread count and most quilting advice I have read says dont use them. If you want to bag and tie a quilt the sheets work fine.:D
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
I`m looking for something that would cost me less than the backing fabric which can be quite expensive here...but I do want quality...not cotton that will wear out after a few washes...
The most inexpensive shop I've found so far in Canada is http://www.cherishedpieces.ca . Her prices run really close to the standard US cost. She has a shop in Tillsonburg. Galena Bay (BC) and Sew Sisters (Toronto) have 6.00 a yard or metre clearance sections, but I haven't ordered from either. I have bought backings - regular 44" fabric - from Fabric.com when they have their $3.95 a yard specials. It depends on whether or not you want a match to what is on the front. They ship by UPS too so you get it quickly.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

That is too expensive for sheets. I have found 108 quilt backing for 9-10 a yard
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
Our LQS always has some material for around $4.00 a yd. I pick something that will look good then buy several yards of it to save for backing a quilt.

mltquilt
I agree check out the discounted fabrics that LQS have usually in the back or off to the side in their stores. Also Fabric.com has great sales and prices and free shipping over $35.00 purchases.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

back in the olden days of the revival of quilting - 1970's
the recommendation was cotton muslin sheets. It was a soft cotton and very easy to quilt. I don't know if they are available any longer.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM

a square inch is a square inch. it won't get bigger. if you try to squeeze more threads into it, the threads have to be thinner.
100% cotton 200 thread count sheets are fine. they're actually much stronger than fabric.

if you look at vintage or antique quilts that were actual utility quilts, you'll find that the fabric was relatively loosely woven by today's standards and yet they held up for over 100 years. anything too tightly woven will be punctured in the sewing and damaged. i'm sure you've seen holes in sheeting along the edges?

if you're hand-sewing, you need a needle that will slide between the fibres. i'm not a hand quilter, so i don't know what that would be, but it's important not to break or tear the threads.

if you do want to try sheeting, why not try a thrift store? a decent sheet, new, 100% cotton, flat, queen - king size, shouldn't cost more than $3 - 5. a good bargain.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM

My problem is the nearest thrift store is 30 miles away. With the price of gas, it is less expensive to go to Walmart and know they have the color I need. I really enjoy the fact I can do a backing for $4 for the twin size, and no seams.
I do not always wash it, my fabric isn't prewashed.

I love to hear of the thrift store finds.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM

I never thought of using sheets for a backing on my quilts, thanks, this is great! I hope some one puts a picture up who used sheets for their backing on their quilt.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Ann
I never thought of using sheets for a backing on my quilts, thanks, this is great! I hope some one puts a picture up who used sheets for their backing on their quilt.
Here is the back and front of my quilt

here is the front and back together,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174334[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174326.jpe   attachment-174328.jpe