Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Heavy quilt ?? >

Very Heavy quilt ??

Very Heavy quilt ??

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM

My grandma had them too! They used wool for the batting. I loved them! Thanks for bringing up such fond memories!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM

google "weighted blanket" and find that this theory is used as a therapy to help austic children (and others) sleep. Grandma was ahead of her time. Purchased my daughter one because she had difficulty sleeping, she LOVES it. Directions are given for making them but I chose to purchase one that could be laundered. Not the answer to your question but interesting.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM

I have 2 very heavy quilts on my bed now and the fabric feels like home decor fabric. It's thick and tough, but soft and pretty, yet the batting is very heavy and fluffy. Not sure what it's made of but talk about keeping warm in the winter! I don't think I can make one of these on my small machine, it is more of a long arm project. Either way, when I find them at yard sales or thrift shops I grab them since there are 6 beds to keep warm in the winter!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Are you sure, it wasn't just because you were small and the quilts might have seemed heavier?
I wondered that too. DH has quite a few "quilts", made by his mother of course, if you know what I mean.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure those "sheet" blankets were flannel. I still have a VERY old one that I slept under when I was a kid (60+years ago) and it is a heavy duty flannel. It is pink and coral and white large squares. No doubt it has shrunk as much as it's ever going to, so it would make a great batting for my next quilt but I'd have to be careful that the color of the sheet blanket doesn't show thru my quilt!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM

please don't try to hand quilt this if you use double batting, or some heavy blanket. It will be too hard to do. If you chose to do a heavy batting, just tie the quilt.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by familyfun
I am getting ready to start a Dear Jane quilt as soon as the software comes. I can remember when I was little I would go stay all night with grandmothers and friends grandmothers or other relatives and the quilts they had always seemed very heavy. I love that heavy quilt feeling when sleeping. The quilts I make today with poly or warm and natural do not have that very heavy feeling. Does anyone know what I can use to get that feeling? Do you think I could use a Double layer of batting?
Has anyone ever tried that ? (I am going to hand quilt)
Hope you dont think I am strange. LOL...
My relatives used old worn blankets for interlinings.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM

I'm no help in solving you heavy quilt situation, but I just had to chuckle because when I was younger I wasn't able to lift as much as I could when I "grew up". Now I must be getting back into that 2nd childhood age because things are starting to get heavy again. :shock: :thumbup:
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 PM

If you want heavy.....use double knit polyester. One was given to me many years ago as a gift and it is so heavy I cannot carry it around let alone sleep under it.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Try double layers of flannel? That would have warmth and weight.