Stocking Up

Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by redkimba
If you can't have a 200 x 200 ft garden because you live in a city, you can also check out 'urban homesteading' resources.
We live next to the sea on a barrier beach island. Our house, a tiny cottage, is situated on a plot that is only 40' x 100' and that doesn't leave a lot of room for growing considering that there is also a driveway and garage there, too! Nonetheless, I've grown enough to fill my cupboards and freezers. You really don't need a lot of space. I turned half of the front lawn into a fruit and veggie garden. We pulled out all of the shrubs that don't yield food (except for a butterfly bush that was a mother's day gift) and replaced them with blueberry, goosberry, jostaberry bushes and raspberry canes. There are daylilies in the front border - but we eat them, too, in a tempura batter. These are interplanted with jalapeno and habanero peppers. There is a huge strawberry patch that is interplanted with onions. I also grew cabbages, eggplant, zucchini, accidental pumpkin and banana peppers there. Lots of folks stopped by to look and some asked how to do it in their yards. With water costing as much as Perrier in this town, I have to wonder why I would pay to water grass when I can be watering food!
In the backyard I have lots of 5 gallon buckets where tomatoes grow. My husband built two side by side bins made from pallets. I alternate them each year - one side is compost and the other side is where I grow potatoes. We have grape vines, fig trees, more rapsberries and blackberries and there is plenty of room for peas, green beans, squash, spinach, kale and salad greens, not to mention more tomatoes. I do succession planting to make the most of the space.
WOW!! I thought I did pretty good at canning and preserving when I was young but ..you are amazing!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Swap Hosts

I also forage for mulberries, beach plums and wild grapes and make wine. :P
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna [/quote

We live next to the sea on a barrier beach island. Our house, a tiny cottage, is situated on a plot that is only 40' x 100' and that doesn't leave a lot of room for growing considering that there is also a driveway and garage there, too! Nonetheless, I've grown enough to fill my cupboards and freezers. You really don't need a lot of space. I turned half of the front lawn into a fruit and veggie garden. We pulled out all of the shrubs that don't yield food (except for a butterfly bush that was a mother's day gift) and replaced them with blueberry, goosberry, jostaberry bushes and raspberry canes. There are daylilies in the front border - but we eat them, too, in a tempura batter. These are interplanted with jalapeno and habanero peppers. There is a huge strawberry patch that is interplanted with onions. I also grew cabbages, eggplant, zucchini, accidental pumpkin and banana peppers there. Lots of folks stopped by to look and some asked how to do it in their yards. With water costing as much as Perrier in this town, I have to wonder why I would pay to water grass when I can be watering food!
In the backyard I have lots of 5 gallon buckets where tomatoes grow. My husband built two side by side bins made from pallets. I alternate them each year - one side is compost and the other side is where I grow potatoes. We have grape vines, fig trees, more rapsberries and blackberries and there is plenty of room for peas, green beans, squash, spinach, kale and salad greens, not to mention more tomatoes. I do succession planting to make the most of the space.

This is truly amazing and also sounds like you are companion planting if I have the correct word here. Just amazing and thank you for sharing!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Swap Hosts

Yes, lots of companion planting. I don't have a page up for the front yard garden last year, but you can see some of it on my website here: http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com...urity_2009.htm
Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Yes, lots of companion planting. I don't have a page up for the front yard garden last year, but you can see some of it on my website here: http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com...urity_2009.htm
Krystyna, didn't have time to look through your whole site , but just in skimming ---I love it ! Will have to take more time to look at it later. Thanks Elaine
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful website!
Again, you are truly amazing! :-D
Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Swap Hosts

Thanks so much. You are so kind. Now how do I manage to garden and still quilt???
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking about getting chickens and rabbits. We already have milk goats. We are putting in a front yard and it will have herbs and many eddibles and most likely my chickens. I have had some in the past but not at this place. We also bake our own bread and buy in bulk but there is no stocking up that will be significant enough due to our family size.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM

In the backyard I have lots of 5 gallon buckets where tomatoes grow.

Silly question - do you drill holes in the bottom for drainage? I want to start some square-foot gardening, but this would help until I can get that rolling.

I have a co-worker who gave me a clump of wild onion. That will be going into a planter until I get it transferred.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Swap Hosts

Absolutely put in drainage holes! Otherwise you will have a swamp! I don't know if I had clear photos on my website, but I staggered my pots in levels - some went on milk crates. The others have rocks underneath to ensure good drainage. Wherever you put them, be sure that you will be able to move them as they grow. Good air circulation is key if you want to avoid blight.