Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question About~~~Jennifer Chiaverini Books >

Question About~~~Jennifer Chiaverini Books

Question About~~~Jennifer Chiaverini Books

Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM

I am reading one now...The Quilter's Apprentice
Do the rest of her books carry the character forward or are they different characters in each book ?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM

So far (I'm on the 4th book) they have carried the main characters along and added a few new ones here and there.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 PM

I'd be really interested in the answer to this question also. I read on a Kindle, and for some silly reason the first two or three books of the "series" can not be read on a Kindle. I don't really want to start on the ones I have if the characters are the same. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mamaheath
So far (I'm on the 4th book) they have carried the main characters along and added a few new ones here and there.
That is what I see as well. Main characters with additions along the way. Very nice books. Don't need to start at beginning book, but might be better because she does refer back some times to other events in prior books. I read Christmas Quilt and New Years Quilt first and it did not really spoil anything for me. Have fun reading.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Her books go back and forth between modern time and the Civil War era. The characters in the Civil War era books are relatives of Sylvia's.

This link shows the order the books were written if you scroll down and read back up from the Quilter's Apprentice. If you notice some of the titles are actually 2 - 3 of the books put together under one title, so you won't need to read those.

The Runaway Quilt, The Sugar Camp Quilt, The Lost Quilter and the Union Quilters are historical and do not have to be read in order with the modern ones if you don't want to do so.

http://elmcreek.net/books
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM

I have the Union Quilters in my car. I got my mom reading them even though she doesn't quilt and she borrowed it from the library and I just hope I get a chance to read it.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM

They are quite good...I got 10 of them for Christmas from Ebay...I still have a couple to get that I haven't had a chance to find.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I love these books. I can no longer read well because of my vision but have them on audio cd's. I love them. Although youd don't have to go in order, you can get confused at some points because it mentions something from a previous book. However, most of the time, they also clarify it in the new book. I have almost all of them so far. I think I've only missed 1 or 2.

They make wonderful gifts for new quilters!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I love these books. I can no longer read well because of my vision but have them on audio cd's. I love them. Although youd don't have to go in order, you can get confused at some points because it mentions something from a previous book. However, most of the time, they also clarify it in the new book. I have almost all of them so far. I think I've only missed 1 or 2.

They make wonderful gifts for new quilters!
I'm thinking with a BI
that I might get lost if I don't go in order.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
I am reading one now...The Quilter's Apprentice
Do the rest of her books carry the character forward or are they different characters in each book ?
Yes, the characters go from one book to the next. Other new characters come along & stay - some permanently & others come, go & come back again.

I need to catch up as I haven't read her last 2 & so much was going to happen. There are also a couple of sub-themes that go along with this present day thread. I love her books & even better, she is also a great quilter!!! Has been on Sewing With Nancy as she's from Madison, Wisconsin.

I want to go to one of her retreats! Anybody else want to go? Wish there really was an Elm Creek Manor.