Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude Guild Members/Need Help >

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Well, before the meeting starts you can make the statement"Alright ladies, no talking during the presentation. The consequense will be a $1.00 donation to the guild. Thank you in advance." "Also, at the end of the presentation, you should come up and place your donation in this jar beside me."
Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I would hate to embarrass someone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Unlike business meetings, people come to a quilt guild to have fun and they can choose not to come again if they are made to feel uncomfortable or have negative attention called to them. If I went to a guild meeting and the speaker called my name or came to stand next to me if I was talking, I'd probably be so embarrassed I would not come back.
based on what you say i would bet that you aren't one of these rude people. i, too, would be embarrassed to be caught in this circumstance and make the effort not be be an offender.

it would be too bad if anyone left the guild over this problem. unfortunately, more people who are bothered by the talking-out-of-turners leave than the ones who get embarrassed getting caught talking. i would rather have the offenders go if they are going to continue disrupting the meeting.

our guild prez makes a statement at the beginning of the meeting and before our guest speaker starts but there are still certain members who feel their conversation is "so" important it can't wait until break. they are annoying and take the fun out of the evening for others.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Our guild had a similar problem - the Pres asked us to raise our hands in the air in the "V" for Victory sign when we could not hear. This worked temporarily.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I think a lot of the problem is our nation's "Me" "Me" generation. The idea of respecting other people seems to have gotten lost. I know all of the offenders are not the younger people but many of them are the offenders. You see it everywhere. The things I see people let their children do in public places, church, theaters etc. my parents would have removed me from the room or event in less than 5 minutes. Rudeness has become the norm rather than the exception. It makes you wonder what goes on with their children in their homes.
I think pointing the finger at the 'younger generation' gets blown right out the window when you consider the age demographics at quilt guilds. I was 32 when I was a member in mine and the closest person to my age was 21 years old. Rudeness knows no age limit. EVERY generation is guilty.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM

When I was President of our group I used a whistle.They really "loved" me, but it kept them quiet.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Seems like this is a universal problem. I have never been to a guild meeting and planned on attending one close by and check it out. Will be interesting to see how they are
Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Many years ago my 4H leader would ask the offending members to share with all the club --if it is so important that it had to be told while the meeting was being held.
It never failed to get the full attention of all the members.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM

not sufficent "chat time" before the meeting!. come early, stay late. Also remember to look at your audience, if they think you are looking directly at them, they will be quiet.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Make a general announcement- It has brought to my attention that members of our group are finding it difficult to hear presentations due to others speaking at the same time. we ask that ifyou wish to carry on a conversation please o so after the speaker or step out into the hall. for enjoymet of us all we ask for your help in this matter.
Then get a squirt gun and the next one who gets out of line blast them- it works with our rabbits
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by rnrn
While I was president of our guild I used this phrase--occasionally needed to rap the gavel to get attention before announcing it: "As a courtesy to the speaker, please keep your side conversations to a minimum"
The whole point is that conversations should not be going on during a meeting or speaker and comments should be kept to a minimum. And if anyone is embarrassed to be called on it while they are having their fun at the expense of others, then so be it.

It is about accountability and those who are disrespectful should be held accountable for their behavior. It is a shame that those in charge at a meeting or sitting next to one of the offenders is shamed into feeling that they should not say anything to the offenders. Quit mulling over & worrying about what/how to say something. Just do it - tell the offenders that their talking is disruptive to the meeting & to please be quiet. Period. Simple, factual, truthful & done!!