Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas for small hand work to do... >

Any ideas for small hand work to do...

Any ideas for small hand work to do...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM

I bought a small (pillow size) whole quilt fabric. The fabric comes with the stencil design pre-printer on it. You just had quilt the stencil. When you wash it the pre-printed part just washes out. You can take it anywhere in a plastic bag with the hoop, thread, needle and thimble and put it away quickly if needed.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Do you do embroidery ?? that is what I have in a lot of my grub and go bags. If you do I have some embroidery quilt block that I put up for later that I can get out for you if you like. or I have a lot of cross stitch kits would be easy to take on the go.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Have you ever tried felted wool projects. Alot of QS have kits of felted wool. The kit are of seasonal candle mats, table mats, even calendars or Christmas Advent calendar. I have also seen candle wraps, very pretty & seasonal.
These are really portable & uses some embroidery floss to embelish with beads in some kits. Some of kits are by Cabin Creek & Bareroots.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 PM

I personally like yo-yos and cathedral window. Both are very portable and can be done by hand!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
QM
Power Poster

I do hand applique, in part because it is so portable. Many of my fellow quilters like to do grandmothers flower garden and field of diamonds (both are hex patterns) by hand. (I do those by machine, but somewhat larger than usual)

You can go to any of the quilt pattern websites for applique patterns, or download coloring pages to cut up for patterns. When my oldest was very little, I wrote a book about him finding a black unicorn. After I became a quilter, I made that story into a quilt for my grandson.

What does you daughter like? Is there a particular sort of image you could reproduce for her?

Something else that travels well is crazy quilt blocks to embellish.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Originally Posted by bluteddi
yo yo's??? I did a square yo yo quilt... can do them any size u want.. mine were about 4 inch sq.
Arrrgh...this reply got me researching and downloading ideas an patterns for square yoyos....Honestly, the quilters on this board are just a bunch of "enablers" :-D :-D
Yes, we are, and you're welcome! :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...r-piecing.html

Here is tute that I am making my quilt from. Of course modified as I use a die cut machine at the local grade school.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I love to have handwork when I am traveling or visiting my mother. Lately I have been working on redwork blocks from a group that I belong to. If you like to embroider, then that is always a possibility. But my favorite project is making potholder blocks for memorial quilts for our fallen heroes. A man by the name of Don Beld, with Home of the Brave Quilts, spoke at one of our guild meetings and taught us how to make these very simple 8" blocks. They must be made out of 1800's reproduction fabrics and on the front is printed the name and rank of a fallen hero (from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars), his/her branch of the service, home town and date of death. On the back, which is made of muslin, is printed a tribute to this person and then signed by the one making it. I send the finished blocks to Don and he puts them together into quilts which go on display where ever he visits and teaches. He has several places lined up in the next couple of years where they will be on display. He doesn't have instructions on the internet, but I would be happy to send them to anyone who might be interested, just PM me. It is so easy to do them from start to finish by hand, but you can also use a machine if you wish. Another project I am contemplating now is to make prayer blocks like was discussed on this board a day or so ago (sorry I can't remember who wrote about it). I would like to make a stack of them for our troops to take overseas with them. They are just a single block with tiny knots representing the prayers of each person who tied one. Very simple to take along and do where ever you go. Good luck with your projects and many prayers and blessings are wished for your sweet daughter.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM

i have started to do epp. here is a site i print the templates on card stock. you can use printer paper also but i like the firmness of card stock.then just cut apart and use. www.texasfreckles.com click on downloads and patterns.

also connectingthreads.com has some epp free pattern that are great to learn on.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM

My first bed sized quilt was all hand pieced using 2-1/2" squares. I just cut strips of each color then cut the strips into squares. I started in the center with a single square of the darkest shade. I then added a square of the next shade to each side of the center square. For the next rounds I added a square at one 'point' of the diamond shape and then at each stairstep till it created the next larger diamond. I continued this till it was as large as I wanted it then reversed the order of colors in decreasing size triangles to create the corners of the square. If you have questions PM me and I will be glad to explain further.