Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for LA quilters about frame size >

Question for LA quilters about frame size

Question for LA quilters about frame size

Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 AM

Hi-

I am just wondering, for all those LA quilters out there, what is your average frame size? Do you typically purchase the 12ft frame or larger? I have measured my space, and I don't think I could comfortably fit a 12ft frame in my house.

Would a 10ft frame suffice? I only make quilts for self and I will NEVER (well, maybe I shouldn't say never! HA!) make King sized quilts..what are the advantages of buying the largest frame out there?

Also, if you are quilting for others..what is the average size quilt top you usually complete? Do most people give you their Queen size or Larger tops??

Thoughts?? JC
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM

My LA will hold a queen but I have never put one on her. I only quilt for myself and do not plan on any larger. If I make a larger one I can always go to my LQS and rent there machine.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 AM

I have a 12 foot frame, but it is only set up at 8 feet now until we remodel, and I can do large twin size quilts. I think 10 foot would be ideal for me.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:05 AM

i like frames that can be adjusted in length to suit your needs at any given time.

i have a Grace Pinnacle Frame it can be setup for craft size (36 inches), crib (60 inches), queen, and king size (120 inches).

i keep it set up for crib size most of the time and when i need to do something larger i just switch out the rails and do the larger quilt.

then when its done i switch back to the smaller size.

this allows me to have a frame that fits more comfortably in my room.

i can fit the frame in when its set up for king size but its tight walking around the room that way and why keep it set up for that size when i only use the king set up maybe 4 times a year.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM

I've had my frame at 10' & 12'. 10' works for all but king size and if you try to load a baby quilt on a 12' frame--you have to baste some extra fabric to the sides to get the backing tensioned. I think 10' is the most useful size for a home quilting system but it really depends on the size of quilts you do. If you never do anything larger than a full size--8' might be better and leave more space for other toys.