Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a little problem........ >

I have a little problem........

I have a little problem........

Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 AM

I have a friend who calls her stash her "worship center."
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 AM

I also have a problem cutting some of my fabric. Waiting for the right quilt!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 AM

I am so glad I read this post!! I feel such kinship with the fabricholics, I am exactly like that and my "collection" is really out of hand. I just love fabric, fullstop.

Thanks also for the hints and tips on using it all up. I'm really going cold turkey now and will not be buying any more fabric until my collection is down by at least 50%.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 AM

I adopted a new attitude a few years ago. If fabric has been in my stash for over 12 months, it's "free" fabric so there's no guilt in cutting it. It's kind of like charging room and board for the fabric stash because I don't like storing it. This new attitude helped me cut into some fabulous rayon batiks and make some lovely blouses and jackets. And if I love a quilt fabric, then I know I will love having a tote or pillow or quilt more than I love having it in a storage tote.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 AM

this is a problem i have cutting up thefeed sacks imy husband bought for the last 7 months before he passed away help!!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
Maybe you just need to "look at it" for awhile! Doesn't it look fantastic?? Take a few pictures so we can see how beautiful they look, then print them and hang them up in your sewing room............then start cutting!!
Perfect Solution
Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM

I feel like you too Jem65 --so for 2 days didn't start any project but seems others agree with us.
Now I read what Tartan said and thought to myself that I better wise up. I get more aggravated when I am looking for fabric to do something specific like now ---does anyone have any My Week -Teddy Bear -by VIP Cranston -as I have all the other pieces but cannot start.
Then I can cut with no remorse.

But, I have fabric from Key West Fl I look at and touch but can't cut ----yet. Haven't found just the right project for it I think.

Originally Posted by Tartan
I used to have that problem but then my best friend died. Yep, she won the prize for "the most fabric when she dies". I wised up real quick. It's my fabric and if I want to fussy cut a piece out of middle of yardage, I do it. My fabric stash is not going to be someone else's goldmine. I want the joy and pleasure of using it NOW!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I fussy cut 16 squares out a $13 a yard batik last night. The remainder looks like a big varmit got it. It didn't bother me, but the fact that I misread the pattern and cut them an inch too big and had to cut them down did. Use? :thumbup: Waste? :thumbdown:
Oh, be thankful that they were cut an inch too big and not an inch too small!! LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM

I recently organized my quilt room and having strips squares has been so nice. I've needed a square and was able to just pull my stash out and pick one. Quick and easy. I think you'll enjoy after you get through the "fear of the cut":)
Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Consider it your "fabric collection" not to be cut up but enjoyed for the beauty of it. Go buy more!