Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 AM

I have to admit that I have never bought fabric online. I want to touch it first. And, I like to pick all of my colors in person, rather than on my monitor, just so I KNOW it will work together.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I have shopped at all three. I do try to support my LQS because the fabric is usually a better quality. Mostly I like their expertise. They are always willing to help pick out fabrics, help with quilty problems, suggest patterns or projects. I stop in sometimes just to chat.
Well said. This is why I support the LQS, too. I especially like their help when I'm looking for "the just right" fabric for a specific need. They often suggest something I would never have even thought about using and it works perfectly.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 AM

In my area, the quilt stores have far superior fabric compared to Wallmart or Joanns. But because of the cost of fabric in the LQS I usually end up with Joann's stuff.

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
Just another note at the JoAnns here I asked where the quilt batting was and the clerk did not even know what quilt batting was. I've never had a good experience there.
I am 62 years old and the thin/trim young (18-20?) woman at the cutting counter in Joann's looked extremely peeved when I didn't carry the whole roll of batting over to the counter for her to cut. When I stood my ground, she begrudgingly went to get it and huffed and puffed all the way!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM

I go occasionally just to visit friends and get ideas. Never buy unless it's a great sale :D
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I shop for fabric everywhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 AM

I see fabic I like on line but can't be bought there only at specific LQS stores..I like the quality of the fabrics also, and friendlyness.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 AM

I shop small business as often as I can afford it. It's also calming and therapeutic for me to be in a fabric store or library. Mostly because Marny and Gretchen always remember my name and are so encouraging. They love their craft and that enthusiasm is reflected in their shop.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM

All of the reasons previously quoted, plus my LQS also is a dealer for Bernina so I bought a second machine there, get it serviced there, get extra feet there, get classes there to better use my machine, etc. If it wasn't there I don't know where I could go for service. Definitely wouldn't take it to Joann's. Tried that once with scissors and had them ruined.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
I go for inspiration, to see the new gadgets, to see the fabric trends, to see the new books (that I buy at half dot com for much less), and to search for a "focus fabric" if I need it. I will buy 1 yard of a unique fabric for say the center of each ohio star, and buy the rest elsewhere.

Just because I am practical and buy my clothes at the discount store doesn't mean that I don't love to browse in the boutiques for the same reasons above.