Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Start a Stash >

How to Start a Stash

How to Start a Stash

Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 AM

I inherited most of my fabric from my mother and other family members and of course I have added alot to it as well. I do add to my stash as I like to go to the goodwill and go to garage sales. I do buy new fabric just to keep a good variaty on hand. Make sure you have room to store your fabric as well. It doesn't take long to build up a stash.....ahhhh those beautiful colored fabrics call and soon you will have a good stash!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 AM

If you like it buy it!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 AM

All of your replies help. Thank you. Now I am in the mood to go fabric shopping.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
My stash grows because I buy fabrics that I love. Then I don't want to use them because I like looking at them. :lol: :lol:

I am like you QuiltnNan When I love the fabric I hate to use it because I might want it for another project and won't be able to get any more.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I can tell how I maintain my stash;
each time I buy yardage for a project I round up all requirements, exam: anything requireing 1/2yd or more, I purchase 1yd,
I purchase fabrics on sale, lots of neutrals, off whites 2 to 3 yds. Multiple colors that I may use for borders, I purchase 3 yds, backings anywhere from 5 to 8 or 9 yards. Fat quarters on sale, esp if I have something in mind for down the road I stock up on FQ, remembering to get lights, mediums, and darks.
Hope this helps you to get started. enjoy the process
Me too. Also, I asked my guild for donations for a charity project. *be careful what you ask for!* My stash multiplied exponentially overnight! They all thanked me for helping them organize and reduce their stash.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM

Look for sales ... always buy a little more than you need for projects ... be careful at yard sales and ebay. Sometimes you get junk that you don't want to add to your "good" stash!
I bought a bunch of clear plastic shoe boxes and color-organized my smaller yardage in those. It's great to be able to find just what I need and they look pretty stacked on the shelves in my sewing room.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM

I built mine over time. I buy two or three yards of fabrics I like. Buying less never seems to be enough for the bed-sized quilts I want to make. Just don't forget background fabrics. My stash os full of beautiful themed prints, but short on fabrics to blend with them. The blenders tend to be less expensive, and you can often find them in remnant bins or on sale. They're less flashy, but oh so important to have a usable stash.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM

An inexpensive way to build your stash is remnants. I'm a remnant junkie!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Not really knowing what I was doing, but knowing I was going to quilt when I retired; I would pick up small amt of fabrics I loved----3/8 yard minimum as it is more that a fat quarter or a yard or 2 if I felt it had potential to be used in a big way. I collected white and black prints because I knew I wanted to make a black and white with a little red one day. I ended up with a plastic bin full when I retired about a year and half ago. Now that has grown to 5 times or more of what I had going to thrift stores, fabric stores and things I have been given. I never turn down even a small piece of good cotton that is big enough to cut a small square from-------------------why because I prefer scrappy quilts.

Like some one said-----it just happens.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM

I'm finding if I like it I buy it, if I love it I buy extra, if it is well priced I buy lots especially if it will make a great backing. I have to be careful becaue I think I could become addicted to just building a stash and not making the quilts. I have some fabrics i'm still looking for coordinating fabrics to go with them.