Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Start a Stash >

How to Start a Stash

How to Start a Stash

Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM

If you do sewing for yourself or children, add the leftover pieces to your stash. It works fine for making block pieces or scrappy quilts.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM

I don't think I've ever bought fabric with a certian pattern for it to go with. I usually find something and say OHHHHHH love this would make a great quilt. Bring it home look for pattern then go back and find what I want to go with it! :lol: Like today I got a heck of a deal found some absolutely wonderful material at Joann's (wonderful sale going on) and bought 8 yrds of 1, and 1.5 of 3 others, just because it was all red, white and blue florals and thought ohh QOV for a girl. Then found flannel for baby girl quilt and soooooo on. Some I bought I have absolutely no idea what I will do with, but had to have so 1.5 - 2.5 yds (great pop colors).
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM

I used to go fabric shopping with a friend, we'd each buy a half yd of different fabrics that we both liked, take them home and cut them into fat qtrs and swap with each other. We also would buy fabrics for cheap from quild meeting flea markets, etc.

Then realized that we should be buying full yds of fabrics.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Look for fabric on sale--and when that one fabric says" here I am" buy about 4yrds of it. It does not matter on project, or time of year, but whatever is on sale that you like--certain color families-prints-plaids and especially tone on tone cr4ames, whites, neautrals. I always buy at least 4 yrds when I can.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM

It kinda depends on what you want to sew...if you love scrappy like I do...I spend my allowance on 1/2 yards of fabric on sale...I look through the clearence sections and before you know it STASH! Everytime you make a quilt you magically end up with a little of each left over. It also depends on how much room you have to hid, I mean house your fabrics.Just how mine happened anyway!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 PM

I just started buying fabrics that I liked without any project in mind, usually off the sale table.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 PM

I have heard that if you like it, get a yard, if you love it, get three, if you can't live without it get six.
I don't think you will have to worry, it will grow.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Having the space for a stash is important. "If you built it, they will come."
Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 PM

I when I started stash building,spent quite a bit of time "researching" online quilt shops; many have discount fabrics all the time.
try: Quiltshops.com-there you will find dozens of shops that are organized on this one site. you can also do a comparison search if there is a specific fabric you are looking for.
Also, try Fabric.com. This place has great sales,wide selection, and free shipping for orders over $35.
W/ the price of gas and distance between fabric stores, I often find that I do much better online-
Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but the quilting fairies just dump all their extra fabric at my house, and all my DH says is, "What do you need any more fabric with all that you have?" LOL.