Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 AM

Isn't it always like this with a hobby? If we stop to always consider the cost we would not leave out chairs or we would only do work. Just figure it as cheaper than a nervous breakdown or that it keeps you out of jail for killing everyone around you. Like a friend of mine told her husband when questioned about checks to Michaels, they are green fees.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 AM

The queen size quilt in my avatar cost close to $150.00 for fabric (Moda), and another $150.00 for the batting, backing and quilting. So, $300.00 that does not include my time. But it was a labor of love for a favorite niece.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 AM

ditto
Old 05-30-2011, 04:58 AM

I live one half hour from any fabric store. So gas is a big issue in buying fabric, let alone the cost of hydro and water charges for washing and ironing the fabrics either before of after the quilt is made. Then there is the cost of fabrics, thread, battingand servicing of the machine once a year. It the price of charity in giving to loved ones or needy causes.
One quilt I made of a friend cost more than 750.00 by the time it was finished! Fabric isn't cheap in Canada!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM
amandaplants

I am working on a Amsih Star Spin pattern (queen size bed quilt when fininshed) I got my fabric without purchasing the border fabric and it was $143.00 after the lady at the quilt shop gave me a 20% discount. I still have to buy border fabrics, warm and natural, and a backing, which will be another at least $150.00, and the time, oh my I am tracking it an I have alreadt spent 14 hours just doing the center section. Quilting and buying fabric is my "bad habit", so I really don't mind spending the money. :)

Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I don't even won't to think about ,I might quit and go on a cruise
Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 AM

I understand what you are saying about the true cost of a quilt. And in a few instances I can see where it might be helpful to know actual cost (like if someone commissioned you to make a quilt for them).
One thing I knew before I even made my first project (a Christmas tree skirt) was that quilting could become an expensive hobby. I love making the tops and quilting them, but for me the pleasure is in the process. My husband understands and encourages my hobby so, I will just keep my sewing maching humming along and not worry too much about the costs. JMHO.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 AM

I keep track of the fabric I use - estimate by size how much on each quilt. and keep track on a sspread sheet for income tax purposes. figured last year I used over 2400yds of fabric on 108 quilts for Linus. plus 1200 yds of batting. I figured out how much for binding too, but forgot what that figure was. I didn't keep track of the thread. that would have been too much like work
Old 05-30-2011, 05:39 AM

My scrap quilts are made from leftovers (fabric and batting) of other quilts.
I still consider them free quilts.

BUT that said...$600 in materials for a Queen/King is normal. That does not include batting or labor.

Subee
Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 AM

We all know that ANY hobby can be expensive. I have done cross stitch. One of my projects was a "free" pattern that cost about $60.00 when finished and I still love it. I crochet, and yarn and needles can be expensive. We camp and that can also be expensive. Quilting canand is also expensive. If we are going to justify every thing we do in life by how much it costs us, then we can be very dull unhappy people. At one of the local quilt stores, they kept track of our spending, and while I can say that I was not especially surprised, it was quite a bit. I try and buy on sale whether it is one of the local quilt shops or Joann. And quite frankly for me it is much more about the justifiable pleasure I get in the creative process and not the expense.
My wonderful father used to sum it up this way. You need tools to do any job. Don't scrimp on the tool, because if it is cheap you may have to replace it to finish, and you have just added more to the cost of the job.

Happy quilitng
Susan