Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new/stupid question (: >

new/stupid question (:

new/stupid question (:

Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
Is it Nike or Adidas whose motto is "just do it!" Whose ever it is, that's what you have to do to see if you like to quilt. froggyintexas
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Only as hard as I want to make it for myself. :lol:

Consider what I first canned...beans. Later was told that's the worse thing to start canning...it can be deadly.

The point is, I followed the directions carefully and was rewarded with safe food. (The short cuts came later but never did beans again!)

Start with a 4 patch..3 1/2" squares to give you a 6" block. Easy enough to work with to get the seams right.

Take a deep breath, let it out slowly, relax and have fun...that's the biggest piece of advice I can float your way.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM

The difficulty I find in quilting is all the other stuff that gets in the way: cleaning house, grocery shopping, cooking dinner, you know all that other stuff! Quilting can be wonderful, start with something not too complicated and something you would like to have such as a throw pillow, a table runner, a bed scarf, a small wall hanging. Practice and take it slow to start and you'll pick it up quick. This is a great place to learn, lots of info and advice and tons of inspiration. The only stupid question is the one not asked - since you asked you are on the right path. And welcome from NorCal.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 PM

just make sure that you cut and sew your pieces accurately. Learn how to do things properly, so that you don't have to unlearn as many things.
Start with an easy pattern such as 4 patch or 9 patch.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
Do you just love colors? Can't decide your favorite? - or they are all your favorites?
Just love to look at pictures of quilts - and pet every quilt you get near?
No matter if you can handstitch or not, a sewing machine can be magic for you!
....and you are not likely to notice if it is hard or not!

Get four strips of fabric and for now not worrying too much about the stitches, sew them all together into one long piece four colors high. Now measure across the piece the shortest way. WRITE that number down. Take a ruler and measure the same number of inches along the edge of the long way.
Draw lines straight up and down to make a square. Cut it off with a pair of scissors, Now do that again and cut another square. and cut more squares until you can't cut any more.
Take one of those squares, take another square and turn it 90* Sew them together. Make sure the corners of both blocks match on top of each other. Do it again - now you will have two pieces of two blocks. Sew them together to make four blocks sewn together.
If you have two more, sew them all together so you have six blocks sewn together.
Hurrah! you have made a little center of a quilt top!

Ask somebody or PM me to answer any questions you think up! Jeannie
Old 06-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Nothing is really hard if you take it one step at a time, especially if the process is fun. There is nothing I do not love about quilting--choosing and fondling fabrics, sewing together, quilting.

Just do it, to paraphrase someone else--it's fabulous and even the "hard" parts teach us lessons.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Is quilting hard? I think it out to come with one of those labels that says "WARNING!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM

LOL- a good first question!

I think that's like asking if writing is hard. A four year old can write their name but they can't write War and Peace.

There are so many different levels of quilting and the think is to start in the right place so you don't get frustrated, and don't get bored.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 AM

I think quilting is much easier than sewing, but I have never made a difficult quilt block. Start out with easy designs, and when you are comfortable there, then move to something harder. you can do it! and quilting is soooo much fun!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 AM

sorry, accidently hit enter when I didn't mean to. I think that it should come with one of those labels that say:
"WARNING. Quilting has been known to be addictive, leading to accumultation of fabric stash, quilting tools, books and patterns. Quilters have also reported that they stay up late at night to finish a quilt, and that housework, cooking and other choores may be delayed or forgotten until a quilt is completed. Other symptoms may include driving 50 miles to a new quilt shop, sudden urges to go on shop hops, and going to quilt shows.
If you experience any of these symptoms, no need to call your physician, just hop on this board for new ideas, patterns, tips and info, and find new friends willing to help you through your rough patch."
Is quilting hard? Not to me, or anyone else who loves what they do.