Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I fixed it. Thanks for all the suggestions. >

I fixed it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I fixed it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Ladies I can't tell you how grateful I am for the suggestions and comments on the topic about of my broken sewing machine.

I am so glad I came here and cried on your shoulder because it saved me some money and more importantly peace of mind.

In the words of my favorite TV character MONK, here's what happened. After the mishap with the needle hitting the presser foot and breaking I put in a new needle. One of the draw backs of this machine is it's small and not much space to work with as far as changing presser feet and putting in needles. I have pretty big hands which makes it rather difficult. Evidently when I put in a new needle, I didn't get it in as far as it should have been to the needle stopper, same thing happened with the second needle.

Now that it's fixed I will not be using that quarter inch presser foot. I checked my manual and I didn't see any instructions on an automatic setting to start with the needle in the center position. I'll check Brother's web site and see if they have a quarter inch foot for my machine.

Thanks again and God bless you all.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
saf

So glad that you are back in action again. Don't know what model you have but Brother certainly do make a quarter inch foot. I just bought one for my friend for her birthday. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding one.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm glad it was a simple fix. I saw your post and my suggestions were all there so instead of saying "I've done that numerous times" I did not comment. This board can be a big money saver and worth it to troubleshoot here first!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 AM

It is sometimes hard to know if the needle is all the way up. Whenever I change my needle I use the flywheel and lower and raise the needle one time. If it isn't all the way up you will feel it touch in the bobbin case, and know that you need to adjust it.
I'm so glad your machine wasn't damaged or needing repair.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Glad everything turned out alright. Don't you just hate it when machines wanna be stubborn!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Glad it was a simple solution!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM

I have that same foot... and just remember to hit the button once to change the needle position when I turn it on... Maybe a sticky note on the on switch to remind you?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I have the clear plastic single hole 1/4" foot for my Husky. I drilled a hole right through the clear plastic when I had a blonde moment and tried to move my needle position for a scant 1/4" seam. DUH.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I have similar machine, got a 1/4 inch foot when I bought it. You still have to change needle position. If setting can be changed let me know. I was told that it couldn't ( by friend) be changed. I've never tried to change it. I've broken soo many needles.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Unfortunately the setting can't be changed automatically. I talked with Brother on the phone today about that. The quarter inch presser foot for my machine they sell is the same thing with a hole in the center for the needle. The rep told me it should be easy enough to remember and that's when I got a little miffed and told him that with all the bells and whistles on the machine couldn't they come up with a better foot so that you would be sure not to cause any damage if you happen to forget the setting?

I've decided that I'm going to put a little sign on the machine and always remember to unclip the foot when I turn off the machine. So it will be three simple steps......machine on/needle centered/clip on foot.