Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price >

Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price

Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price

Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 PM

A few days ago I posted a topic about having problems with my sewing machine. It is a Singer 4220 it wasn't very expensive. However, every time I try to sew I spend more time messing with the machine than I do quilting. So I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a good sewing machine but at a reasonable price. I honestly don't want to spend thousands because I only quilt when time permits. Anything less than a thousand would be good for me. Any suggestions?? I have tried looking online but many of the top name brands don't list prices on their websites.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Are you looking for a newish machine with lots of bells and whistles? If so look at the recently traded in ones at a local dealership. If you are going to piece, SID and FMQ only, look for a Singer 301 or 301A- these are great machines, piece very well, and even drop the feed dogs to allow FMQ. I got mine in a cabinet, with the chair and machine, and tons of attachments for $125 off craigslist in my area. It is sometimes called the 'big sister' to the singer featherweight, and weighs about 20 LBS or so. I also just got my (new to me) bernina 430 for $1000 from a local dealer- and some of the other brands are even more reasonable in price.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

I agree that if you want bells & whistles, you should look at trade-ins at a dealer. I bought a nice used Pfaff for $300 or $400 that has lots of stitches, low bobbin indicator, 2 alphabets, and the Pfaff IDT. If you only want to piece quilts, find a nice vintage machine for $50 - $100 and spend the rest of your budget on fabric and threads. Let us know what you decide.

Darren
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM

Janome has some great ones for around $500. You can get a nice used 6500 for under $1,000 easy. I also like the decor machines they have come out with. Make sure you have an automatic needle threader on any machine you get, it is a huge timesaver. Ken's Sewing Center has great machines and sometimes he offers free shipping and handling.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

a vintage Bernina, or a newer Janome, Elna or Kenmore...these 3 are made by the same company now and have many like features and interchangeable parts! Kenmore has been in the top # machines for the last 20 years...
Good luck finding what works for you!

Oh, you can go to allbrands.com and do some serious comparison shopping before heading out to shops..helps to go with some information in your notebook!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM

I would look for a vintage Singer. There are numerous Singers out there that are wonderful for piecing and quilting.
List of Singers to keep a watch for on CLs: 301, 15-90 or 15-91( nice for free motion quilting),401, and the Feather weight. These machines are all metal and built to last, easy to repair and clean yourself, sew beautifully, and have a large throat space for quilting. I have made many quilts on numerous vintage Singer machines: 15-90, 15-91, 66-1, and the 201.
You can find them on CLs for around a $100 and under.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM

I started out with a Babylock xscape. Nice machine, great for classes, but it does the babylock thing where it takes the first 2 stitches REALLY slow. Pain in the butt!
Then I got a Janome MC 10001 on ebay. Honestly, I've only used it for sewing, not for embroidery yet. I hope to learn this summer. But I got a GREAT deal on it! $780 with shipping. LOVE, LOVE LOVE my Janome!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM

I have a Janome sewing machine and love it. They have ones you can spend big bucks on and they also have ones that are under $400 at my dealership.

I also have friends who have bought Brother as well as Bernina sewing machines and love them. Berninas are really expensive though.

I wouldn't touch a Singer with a 10 foot pole anymore. I bought one and it was horrid. It would bunch up stitches and was a total mess. After calling customer service they told me to return it that I had a defective machine. It was also cheaply made. I was happy to return it... so I bought the Janome and havne't looked back since. It's a fabulous machine.

I would spend a day or two and visit some local sewing machine stores and try them out and see what you think then shop around for best pricing. :)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM

just bought a vikingsaphire835 it was $1063.oow/tax.love it,very user friendly.check it out.think you.lllike it
dar
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

I have the Jem gold and platinum (Janome) and like them both.
The Gold is about $300,
I've even machine quilted on it.
My workhorse is a Bernina 1030, non-computer. If you can find a reconditioned Bernina,I'd buy that, they're excellent machines.