Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new ideas in quilting. >

new ideas in quilting.

new ideas in quilting.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM

I am a gadget hound and a fabric hound . If it makes it easier for me to cut the pieces, I want it since I have serious hands issues. However, I really prefer using stars, HST, QST, squares and pin wheels and the other traditional patterns when choosing patterns.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM

I really don't care for the Artsy stuff I love all the tradfitionals.I have some old quilting books from the 1920s to 1986 and not one of them has a pattern for a Bargello - I love all of the ones that every one has shared here I don't know if its a traditional or an artsy pattern but which ever I am going to make one -it will be my Christmas present to myself :D
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM

I thought this was where all the new ideas are found. For me it's here and the two mag I subscripe to.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM

I've done the old time favorites, now I'm into scrap quilts. These are donations. Anything to keep my hands busy and mind alert!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM

I agree w/ SallyFlymi, I not into the new trend of quilts. Give me the old ones.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
The quilting magazines are pushing modern style quilts. Simple geometric blocks that look more modern.
Not my style, Im still in old style mode, stars and blocks with a challenge.
I think they want you to make tops quickly so you will buy more fabric sooner.
I want to make a kalidescope if I ever get caught up on my unfinished projects.
I am glad that you brought this up. If one reads some of the modern quilt blogs one would think that the only quilt pattern is the wonky square. I appreciate that relaxing the rules a bit is a refreshing change. I tend to favor the more modern style but I still like to see more traditional quilts as well.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM

You just have to get the book and try a "Circle of Nine" quilt
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
I just wondered if any of you are really up to date in the latest trends and ideas in quilting. Other people seem to find new ideas and not me.
It is my curiosity! I have a big bump of it!
I read everything and look at tutorials and especially as many pictures of quilts as I can find!
Did you see the entire "Yellow in Quilts" recent topic?
It was pop full of quilt pictures - pages and pages!
It was wonderful and full of ideas!
Mostly, I concentrate on topics I like, like applique - or "Art Quilts" though because there are too many of EVERYTHING to read, or look up!
If a project is not going well, or has a mistake in it, before I fix it, and am still cross, I GOOGLE it on the computer to see what others are doing...or a tutorial perhaps, or look at lots of pictures of others similar to it. That settles and distracts me from my exasperation so that the fix goes easily!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM

I know I'm behind in everything about quilting but right now that's okay with me. :wink:
Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I have a folder on my network drive called "Inspirations". When I'm browsing the web, and I see something that I love, I save the picture to this folder. I can save from any computer in the house as well as access it, which makes it nice. The file is now huge, and when I need inspiration, I go take a peek! I don't care what's trendy, I just care that I love it!
Mine is called "Quilt Ideas! I think there are over 800 pics in there. I had to subdivide it awhile back, too many to see when I needed inspiration! So I created Quilted Log Cabins, Quilts For Guys, Quilts For Kids, Quilt Asian, Quilted Floral, Quilted Trees and Leaves, Applique, Stars & Christmas, Taupe, B&W, etc.etc.etc.
I'd better get busy, there are TOOOO many quilts to be made and I'm not getting any younger!!