Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Can anyone identify this? >

Can anyone identify this?

Can anyone identify this?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Sorry wish I could help you out with the pattern. Im sure someone on the QB will be able to help you. Welcome to the QB.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM

MTS, and Everyone! thanks!!! Sometimes you post on a forum and get no replies, but you all are really so helpful and encouraging!

Yes, I want a quilt that can be used, and I would love to do a contemporary version of this. I would love to dig up a little history on it so I could share that with the recipients.

I am thinking it should be big enough for a king sized bed, not the California King, just a regular King. Which is pretty big...but I do have time.... I used to spend at least 2 hrs a day running, and now I can barely walk! (though it is getting much better...and my PT will get me running by October!)

Ohhh adding in. I have never done any machine applique, I am Ok with hand applique, and I have no idea about fusibles, though that may be the answer for getting the wheels on the quilt neatly.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

"but beware, this is not for an inexperienced seamstress. Not a beginner quilt..But I would be happy to help you along if you really want to do it."

I agree, this would not be an easy quilt to do for the beginning quilter.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM

I know it isn't the easiest thing, but none of the easier sort of blocky quilts seem to really reflect these people. I expect to make a lot of mistakes, waste fabric and such, but in the end I think I can probably get it done.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
I know it isn't the easiest thing, but none of the easier sort of blocky quilts seem to really reflect these people. I expect to make a lot of mistakes, waste fabric and such, but in the end I think I can probably get it done.
You go Girl!!!!
You will probably do a great job on it if it is something that you really want to do!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Or, LOL, it will look awful and I will have to scrap it, but...I actually like to hand applique, and now that I've looked at the fusing materials, I think that would make the hand finishing so so easy....

I have not been crafting much as I was doing a lot of running, but now...I have the time, looks like i have a lot to learn!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Best of success to you, in both of these challenges! You could consider something smaller. The colors that you are talking about sound beautiful. You might find that making a throw quilt (like for over the couch) or maybe a wall hanging might be a little less daunting, but still very personal and thoughful for a wedding gift. You could include a hanger, if you made a wall quilt. Then include a very nice label on the back, or even a picture of you and them printed on fabric, with a written part about how they helped you and how you are thankful. Just a thought. Best of success to you in your recovery and your quilt...OH and welcome to the board! Keep us posted on your progress on both!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Welcome from SW Florida, and it looks like a wagon wheel to me also. I'm guessing machine or hand applique
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM

I found several different wagon wheel blocks -- these two links are the closest.

Here is a link that has a similar pattern -- the wagon wheel.
http://www.blockcrazy.com/Free%20Pieced%20Blocks.htm The templates are to the right of the block.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/p...rns/wagonw.pdf
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I found several different wagon wheel blocks -- these two links are the closest.

Here is a link that has a similar pattern -- the wagon wheel.
http://www.blockcrazy.com/Free%20Pieced%20Blocks.htm The templates are to the right of the block.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/p...rns/wagonw.pdf
Great sites - thank you! Especially the patterns from history makes great reading.