Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which hand and which foot? >

which hand and which foot?

which hand and which foot?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 AM

I'm right handed but use either foot for the pedal. Left foot actually seems to have a more delicate touch. I switch off when one side of my butt gets more tired than the other!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM

Right handed but use left foot. I like to be barefoot too. Seem to have better control. I also use my left hand for my mouse. Had to learn because of my neck problems. Now I can't use my right hand, LOL.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM

I'm right handed and use my right foot on the pedal because my knee lever is on the right side of my machine.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM

I am a right handed right all the way but you made me stop and think about it. This morning I have been using my left foot. I think it will be much better for my back to switch and use both. Thanks for making me think.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM

I have had of my knee replaced. You will be able to use the foot you always have used. Just make sure you do rehab. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm left handed but use my right foot on the pedal.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mommomjoann
You will be fine after your knee,it's good exercise for the knee to bend!!! Work it out!! Mine is great!!! Good luck!
thanks for the encouragement. it is always nice to hear. Still waiting to see if the insurance will pick it up this time. they are getting so pickey I had my left knee replaced july 26 04 and on oct 31 04 I had to climb back on a horse (rather I got on the trailer fender and slithered across onto the saddle) and trailed cattle out in the hills to winter pasture. bought a new 2 year old (one that is small enough for me for a change!) the following spring and rode her out. my knee replacement was the best thing I ever did next to buying Poptart. My dad had two hip replacements and at 88 still drove tractor and rode his motorcycle and went dancing twice a week. then he tripped and fell and broke his femor just walking from the home office into the kitchen and missed the little rise in the floor. he isn't healing well now. but his hips didn't slow him down much. with joint replacement just learn to do things a little different. my biggest problem is arthritis hands, back, pelvis where it is healed wrong from a fracture from a colt falling on me years ago. the cold really sets me off. can even be a slight breeze in the house from a ceiling fan or the air conditioner in the truck. The knee dr. knows better than to tell me not to ride. he said that would be my encouragement to do my therapy and he was right. anyway, now am rambling. I did try using the left foot and found if I just do it no problem...think about it and is more ackward!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Right handed and I use the right foot, also learned to sew on a knee pedal machine. I could use my left foot though if I had to, I can use it when driving a standard transmission. I'm not too sure I could learn to use my left hand though, if I needed to.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM

I am left handed, but had always used my right foot...you know I live in a right handed world. :D However, when I bought my new sewing machine last year they taught me to use my left foot for the peddle, so I could use my right leg for the knee-operated presser foot lever. I was comfortable with it quite quickly. You will adjust to it in no time! Good luck with the knee!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM

I've had my right knee replaced and don't even think about using your left foot. You'll be using the right knee as soon as you want to use your machine again. Just be SURE to do the therapy - that part is miserable but worth EVERY LITTLE PAIN - and as soon as you finish - you'll be 100% and won't even be able to feel that new knee and will wonder if they really did replace it! It works just GREAT! Good luck......