Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections... >

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 AM

There are some great ideas here ~ The one that works best for me is...to have a BO (Born Organized) friend that reminds me that UFO's produce "stress" and "happy feelings" come when projects are completed =) She did suggest keeping a little journal too. I do put my UFO's in a bin with all directions, notes, etc. ~ She suggested keeping "like things" together ~ Have a blessed day!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I made a list - didn't help. :(
:thumbup: Love your avatar. Did you make this? What is the pattern if I might ask? Thanks BrendaK
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM

My Grand daughter recently had a fire and made me think that I should make a spreadsheat of houshold contents and take pictures also for insurance purpose's, then make duplicate copies and give them to a couple of people to hold on to for me ( no good if I just kept them, dah!!!)
Judy
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM

No I don't keep a list of projects. I simply buy fabrics for ideas of projects I want to do in the future and place them in 2 to 2.5 gallon bags for easy viewing.

So when the spirit hits me to work with something that attracts me I pull the bag of the shelf and go at at.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 AM

My daughter has made me a ufo list that I use to encourage me to keep working at things. It is a spreadsheet. Has the name of the project and then columns for blocks cut, blocks sewen together, boarders added, top sandwiched, top quilted, bincing done. I can check off as I get each section done. I actually color in the squares and I can see my progress as I go. At the end of each row is a space to add, date completed. I find this really helps me to work on projects.
Now if I could only quit starting new things.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM

I have a spiral bound book of 3 x 5 index cards. When I start a new project I start a new card with the date and other relevant information, such as inspiration. I never tear a card out of the binder until the project in totally finished and the label is on! That way I can always look and see what UFOs I have.

When I tear out a card, meaning the quilt is finished, I put the card and a photo in a photo album. Now I have a record of my quilts.

I like to piece more than I like to quilt or bind a project, so I've decided that it's okay to have lots of unfinished projects when I leave this earth. Our foremothers did it (hence the beautiful quilt tops we find in antique stores or at garage sales)! We can do it too. I sew for fun and relaxation. I'll do what I want. Of course, if the quilt is a gift I'll finish it! My
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM

I have been using the ArtBin satchels, so now I have a stack of projects staring at me. I did get rid of a couple of UFO BOM that I didn't start.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I mostly have finished tops, waiting to be quilted, so need to work on that. If I get too organized, it scares me, lol, so I try not to do that too much. Kind of nice, like someone else said, to find something occasionally, you had forgot about. Kind of like xmas, I agree. Besides, if I list too much & hubby finds the list, then he would bug me to finish everything, & sorry, that's my stuff, not his, lol.... Besides, I want to spend my time enjoying my quilting, not trying to constantly organize. I can usually find whatever I am looking for, in my studio, so I figure I am not too unorganized...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM

I try to finish a UFO before I allow myself to purchase any fabric. Unless I have to do a project for my kids. I am trying to finish at least 2 things before I can start a new one. Somedays are better than others. I don't work, so my time is flexible. But when I did work and was raising my kids, time was at a premium and I didn't have any UFO's. I only had time to work on one thing at a time.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
so what you may say .... well .....

Last night, while not in the sewing area, I tried to remember what projects and collections I had in the sewing area and put them on a spreadsheet. Extravagant - maybe - but I wanted a list in writing that I COULD SEEEEE so maybe - just maybe - it'll help me STOP accumulating more new projects and new fabric of any kind.

I don't know if it'll work - whatcha think?
Anyone else ever tried making a LIST to keep track of ALL the projects and collections they have *hidden away* in their HOUSE?
Any other suggestions for gettting things DONE!!!?????
Anyone ever BLOG about it?
Great idea. I need to sort my stash. I think I'll try it.

Using a spreadsheet you can deduct yardage as you go.
You can also color code cells.
You can sort by color, yardage etc.