Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing on my Patio >

Sewing on my Patio

Sewing on my Patio

Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Last year I bought one of those rolling tool boxes for my SIL and then filled it with tools he will need for his first house. My daughter thought it was a great idea. I also considered it for a rolling sewing kit, but I really do not have any need for one right now. I saw them again at WalMart yesterday. They are $19.99. What a bargain if you can use it!!! Hope you can find one.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

I would love to sew out side but we have mosquito by the millions after all this rain we have had in southern Sask.

Have a great day!

Quilterfay
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Today is another beautiful day in my neighborhood. And so I think I am going to haul out my machine and the Celebration Sampler peices and sew outside today. There is just a slight slight breeze just enough to keep the air cool. Ive got 8 blocks finished so far out of the 17 that is needed. I am hoping to get all the blocks finished before they release the assembly instructions.
What I need is a portable cabinet of some sort that holds all the peices and do dads that I need to sew with. And just wheel it on out the door when I want to sew and wheel it all back in when I am done. That or an enclosed patio, but that ain't going to happen while we live here. Happy Sewing everyone.
Me TOO. I am in the PDX area and we FINALLY have summer. Its been a L O N G winter and no spring to speak of.
YAY for summer in Oregon. Daytime in the 70's nights in the 60's and 14 hours of daylight. How can you top that.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 AM

I do a lot of my sewing outdoors, mainly because instead of quilting, I’m usually sewing things that I’d rather not bring into the house or the shop (eeewww). I repair outdoor covers and repurpose old tarps with my old Singer 66 Redeye handcrank. Both the back patio and front patio have been put to use, even in July.

CD in Oklahoma

July 2010 - Back Patio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216531[/ATTACH]

Front Patio - October 2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216532[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216525.jpe   attachment-216526.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Today is another beautiful day in my neighborhood. And so I think I am going to haul out my machine and the Celebration Sampler peices and sew outside today. There is just a slight slight breeze just enough to keep the air cool. Ive got 8 blocks finished so far out of the 17 that is needed. I am hoping to get all the blocks finished before they release the assembly instructions.
What I need is a portable cabinet of some sort that holds all the peices and do dads that I need to sew with. And just wheel it on out the door when I want to sew and wheel it all back in when I am done. That or an enclosed patio, but that ain't going to happen while we live here. Happy Sewing everyone.
While sewing on my patio yesterday...I was able to sew the binding onto 2 quilts (twin size) and finished one block for the Celebration Sampler Quilt. That makes 10 done 7 more to go. On one of the quilts, I pinned the binding on and then sewed it. On the second one, I used the glue method..OMG that was fun and I will be doing that again. I DID NOT buy any special tip I just squeezed it out of the small glue bottles little tip. I just made sure that it was a thin line of glue. Pressed it for a few seconds and moved on to the next section. The corners turned out PERFECT....woohoo. Then I flipped it over and glued down that side and pressed it, took me about 45 minutes to do it all as it was the first time I did it and then I did a zigzag stitch and BOTH sides were even and caught so I was HAPPY AS CAN BE. :) Everyone should try it. But just make sure to use WASHABLE school glue.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I do a lot of my sewing outdoors, mainly because instead of quilting, I’m usually sewing things that I’d rather not bring into the house or the shop (eeewww). I repair outdoor covers and repurpose old tarps with my old Singer 66 Redeye handcrank. Both the back patio and front patio have been put to use, even in July.

CD in Oklahoma
That is too cool. Its fun to be sewing out in the fresh air isn't it. :)
Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 AM

That sounds so beautiful to be sewing outside in the fresh air.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Great idea Airwick. I am up in the woods west of PDX. Maybe I'll check out a spot on the deck. Suppose to be nice the rest of the week. Enjoy!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Sew outside every chance that you get! It's really kind of nice!

I've heard of several quilters that sew on the picnic table at campgrounds while traveling, either with a handcrank or an extension cord. Maybe not quilting, but piecing. The weather has to cooperate, of course.

I wheeled my Consew Industrial outside and sewed (repaired) a boat cover in the alley behind the shop one day. I got a second look or two, but everything went just fine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM

I am also green with Envy. It's about 95 here and intermittently storming, AND I am working on a flannel thing.