Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ADVICE ON FRAME QUILTING AND FLOOR MATS >

ADVICE ON FRAME QUILTING AND FLOOR MATS

ADVICE ON FRAME QUILTING AND FLOOR MATS

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

Does anyone here that quilts on a frame use rubber or gel mats to stand on. Because of a health issue standing on hard surfaces for long periods cause me severe foot pain. My entire house is hardwood and tile. Does anyone with a quilitng frame use rubber or gel mats. If so do you know a resonabley priced item?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

I have great shoes that compensate for this. I'd rather pay for shoes that I can wear everyday, everywhere, than pay for specialized mats.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Have used commercial anti-fatigue mats.They are worth every penny. I'm close enough to Chicago to be able to go to a store and buy directly.

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commerci...i-fatigue.html
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM

I don't long arm, but I bought some interlocking foam mats from Softtiles.com. They had a special where you could buy them for $4 each, so long as you didn't care what color. They're easy to put down and easy to take up.

Janet
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

My ex is actually in Chicago this week visting family. Do you know the name of the store by any chance or where it's located.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for the information on the mats

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Have used commercial anti-fatigue mats.They are worth every penny. I'm close enough to Chicago to be able to go to a store and buy directly.

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commerci...i-fatigue.html
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM

I use one but on my kitchen floor and want to get more. With kids, dogs and all I put marble in most of my house. I love it as far as being easy to clean and all but I have to go barefoot; I'm from WV and I think it's in my bloodstream. But as I get older standing on the marble does pay a price; especially when they are cold. I got my mat from BJ's wholesale for around 50; it works really good at cushioning my feet. I would one of the large ones but they are reallly out of my price range. I'm getting ready though to get the sponge mats that interconnect w/each other to see how they work.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK
I have great shoes that compensate for this. I'd rather pay for shoes that I can wear everyday, everywhere, than pay for specialized mats.
I second the shoes. When we moved to a house with hardwood floors, I went to an upscale shoe store that specializes in the better quality shoes for older people with foot problems. Got a very experienced saleswoman who listened to my specific problem (heel pain on the bottom of my foot) and had me try on a pair of Haflinger slip-ons. The pain was immediately better. I have worn these shoes for 5 years now in the house, and they have completely eliminated my heel pain. The backs are all worn out and I really should get a new pair, but these still work for me so.......

Different shoes will help with different foot problems, so Haflingers may not be the right one for you, but I would at least try shoes (in addition to a mat). You do need an experienced salesperson with some training in foot problems, though.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

thanks we have a happy feet near by I'll pop into over the weekend. I have lupus and causes a lot of bone pain which gravitates to my feet if I stand for long on the hard floors. Kinda wish I'd known before I bought new house with wood floors but thats ok love the house.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM

I have rubber interlocking mats that I bought at Big Lots some time ago. They were on special for $4 for a package of 4. For me these are as good as the expensive ones at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's Club or retail stores. I think I have also seen them car parts store. Look around there are many prices and styles. Even Tuesday Morning has them at times.