Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If only they would have stood... >

If only they would have stood...

If only they would have stood...

Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM

First thing, Freedom isn't free and I am so sorry your daughter had to make the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you for raising such a person and for her service to our country. God Bless.

Second, these same people would be standing and cheering if someone hit a home run, made a touch down, scored a goal, or performed some act on American Idol! It makes me mad and then it makes me sad. We need to teach children why we love our country and our flag! They've taken it out of the schools, so I guess it's up to us. I taught my children and they are teaching theirs, hopefully there is more of us than them.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM

So sorry for the loss of your daughter, I can't even imagine the pain.

My husband & I would have stood proudly with you!!

Our son is a Commander in the Navy is deployed now has 2 1/2 years to go before he retires. I pray every day that he and all the men & women come home safe.

God Bless You and your family.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM

As my husband has said in response to some protesting school kids taking part in a civil war reenactment as a history study. When you don't teach kids the cost of freedom they don't understand what patriotism is and the cost at which it comes. Instead we have a nation of spoiled kids who believe everything is free even freedom. Thank you for serving. When my husband was in the Army and we went to movies on base it was manadatory that every one stood - something to be said for that.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 PM

I am so sorry for your loss but so thankful your daughter was willing to give her all for us. Patriotic songs always bring a tear to my eye as I am the daughter, daughter in law, and wife of military men. It gives me a great deal of pride when I see my grown children standing for the flag or patriotic songs but saddens me to see their peers sitting on their butts. If I'm at a parade and young people are sitting on the curb I'll say, "can I help you up?" with a big smile. Sometimes that will shame some of them into standing. It is very sad that people in general (unfortunately its not only the youngsters :cry: ) don't respect the symbols of our great nation.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 PM

I don't think these folks have a clue about honoring our flag and what it stands for or the Pledge of Allegiance. I do, and it hurts my heart when others disrespect what our country and our service men and women have sacrificed to give us the freedom we enjoy. I will share a tidbit that always brings tears. Have a safe and joyful 4th of July!
You may have seen this one before, but it's a good time to pass around again. Have a safe and happy 4th!!!

Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation.

'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. 'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time...

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base.' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.' Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class.

'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.' Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 AM

Your actions spoke louder than words...you stood, you spoke.
Sincere condolences to you for the lose of your brave daughter.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Sorry about the loss of your daughter. My husband was Navy for 30 years. During a re dedication of a battleship he was stationed on, the National Anthem was played. Hardly anyone was singing. My cousin was a guest of ours. She started singing. Eventually those around us started as well. Later she told me - that is our nation's song. We should never give up a chance to sing it. You don't need to sing well, just sing. And I followed her advice after that and sure enough, those around me did too. Not well mind you, but at least I knew the words. :-D
Old 07-02-2011, 04:57 AM

Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation.

'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. 'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time...

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base.' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.' Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class.

'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.' Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'[/quote]

How awesome! Perhaps here is another way we quilters can make a difference. By sharing these stories, sharing our treasures- support, financial if possible, emotional, etc., writing to vets in hospitals, or in a million other ways, to hopefully turn the tide around.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Freedom is NOT free like some may think. So sorry about your daughter. I had a brother & 2 sons in the military.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40 PM

When my husband was stationed at the Presidio in San Francisco, we often went to the base movie theater. Before EVERY movie, the national anthem was played (with video). Everyone in the theater stood, hand over heart, hat off. Very moving.