Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

I took a class on this technique, but my machine hormoned-out and I had to stop altogether. I'm taking another class in September and am looking forward to it.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM

I have made 3 reversible QAYG quilts. They really turned out nice. It was the first quilt I ever made (king size).
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 PM

Oh, my, when I first started quilting it was ragtime quilts, I made 15 of those. Then quilt as you go, or flip and sew quilts, I've made about 8 or 9 of these.

Now, I've just finished the Judy Neimeyer Bali Wedding Star, it's not quilted yet, but will be in August. Time to start my challenge quilt for our Quilt Guild.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM

I am making quilts for all 15 of our grandchildren for their birthdays using the quilt as you go method. I found a great book called "When you're done, you're done". It has several different patterns. Easy and fun to do. Ten done, five to go!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by purplecrna
Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
I don't have a long arm and have found this very useful especially when doing a large quilt like a queen or king or doing quick charity quilts. I have adapted my own techniques and have done my free motion quilting on each section as I go. I place the top of the each section right sides together and on the bottom of each section right sides together with the batting under that. Then I stitch all 5 layers together using a little more than a 1/4 inch. Flip the top, bottom and batting open and smooth, free motion (if desired), add the next section, etc. I also add the borders the same way and then bind.
I don't like having to add that extra strip of fabric and hand sewing it to the back. My method avoids this and there are no raw edges. I have used this method using my serger for some of my charity quilts. The important thing is to smooth all the layers before meandering (free motion quilting) or adding the next section.
Just my technique and thoughts.
This is the way I would prefer to do it...however, I have to see the process. Any chance of a tutorial? I made one QAYG and am working on a second. Would LOVE to not have to sew the hand sewing on the back. Otherwise, I like the QAYG method. :thumbup:
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 AM

Does it taking more backing for a QAYG than what a pattern would call for. How do you determine how much more you would need?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 AM

I did one in Texas last winter but I did it a block at a time. Made the quilt a lot smaller than it was suppose to be because I didn't have any borders on it. I was different and I'm not sure I woudl do a large quilt this was. I really tahank all to answered my help!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

It is not my thing...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 AM

It made it nice that I was finished and didn't have to add borders and binding but I think I would like to have made the quilt a little larger. I think I could have added a border before I finished the outside edge not sure. I didn't take a class I just watcha another class finish there quit this way and I had blocks made so I tryed it. It's ok but like I say I would have liked it to be larger.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM

My attempt to do a video tutorial on QAYG, A couple people loved it and really appreciated it, I guess their brains work the same way mine does.

Mostly it got horrible reviews about the shaky camera and my rambling and the nice people just made comments about the cute cat. One of these days I'll try to do it again with a tripod and a written script, to keep the rambling down.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/charityc...49/KkBbnw3Nvpo

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/charityc...41/JpT2N7FmqKk

This is the part most people liked about my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/charityc.../6/iwAGa_OP714