Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Do what suits your needs. I have decided that my enjoyment comes from how and what I choose to do - not others judgement of it. If I have only tops then that is fine. I do a combination of stuff. I feel that when i pass on at least I will still have an expression of myself left behind and anyone can quilt the tops if they like but the design, colour, fabric choices and patterns are all mine. So better to have tops and plenty of them then a few totally finished quilts only. But that is what suits me. Do what suits you and and your circumstances.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 PM

I dont see anything wrong with displaying just a top!!! Be sure to treat them well though out of sunlight etc - this way others who have admired them could always have them quilted in your memory some day. They are your quilts - do what you want :thumbup: I see each top as a piece of artwork made with love. :thumbup: :D

I consider the "lady" who made the comment a "quilt snob" :lol:
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

I'm with wolfkitty...summer quilts are just as snuggly as the ones with batting...and they can double as tablecloths!
Judy Martin who is a world class quilter just recently had a sale on her website of her quilts and quilt tops! I think I read where she said most of her quilts were just the tops! Just do your thing, and consider anyone who comments on your tops, jealous!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Huh? I would have asked her point blank why she looked so disgusted and explain why it was important to her to want to make me feel bad about what I do with my own quilts. I don't need up- snot- know- it- alls adding their two cents to my life. No one gets away with it around me. People of this type can't handle confrontation so give it to them.
Whoa, BellaBoo! I wish I had your hootzpah! I've felt this way at times, but never had the nerve to express it. I think you've given me the nudge to do something. Thanks! I hope Jazz got a little nerve too :roll:
Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Apparently there are at minimum 120 people who would rather quilt than piece cause that's how many unquilted tops I sold online last year. There's room in the quilt world for everyone, even those who communicate disdain.
Where are you selling all the quilt tops?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Ohmygosh, you've met the Quilt Police. And all this while I thought we had outlawed them! I see they're still abroad in the land. Don't let people like that get you down - you are an incredibly talented person. Who was she to judge you???
Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Dee

There are a lot of small minded people out there. Just think quilters are special people. Think this to yourself and give a smile and let them shrink in their shoes.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM

jazzz i don,t judge anyone
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 AM

You know I love the thrill of a new pattern. It Never stops there. I have to make one. I can be cutting a new design and no matter what colors I am useing for it, in my mind its raceing through all of the color that I could make it in next. I usually give them to charity. I have around 20 tops done up and am happy with it. You sound like a friend of my heart. Nothing wrong in us. Some people just do not understand.. Don't let that lady worry you a bit. Creating quilts is very healing for the soul. Marvel in Ok.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 AM

I agree with every one else. No one has the right to judge. I am sure that your tops are beautiful.