Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
OMG! It occurred to me last night as I was sewing half-square triangles and thinking of my sewing history - things I used to sew and what I sew now - that I have been sewing for 40 years! I learned in eighth grade and have been sewing ever since.

I have also been cross stitching for 25 years!

I wish I could remember what enchanted me about sewing, but I must love it to be doing it this long!

What about you - do you remember what it was about sewing that grabbed you at the beginning? Or what keeps you going now?
geez..did you really have to go THERE???
I have been sewing by hand and machine for about 45 years..embroidery about 40, and crochet about 35....scary....dang it...50 IS old....sigh
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Learned to sew on a treadle machine at age 8. Started making Barbie clothes so I could have a change for her. Found I liked making pretty & useful items so I've continued sewing ever since.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM

I began by hand sewing and designing doll clothes then learned to machine sew 44 years ago. I have a weird body shape so I learned to tailor clothes for myself. Then came kids and tight budget as a divorce'. the prom dresses etc. I've always sewn for practical purposes and thankfully loved it.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM

I first started sewing about 50 years ago as a young 4-H member. I hated it. After I married and had our first child, it was fun to sew baby clothes. Then I took some tailoring classes. Quilting didn't come until much much later. Do I enjoy sewing now? Mostly. Depends if it is for fun or a have-to project.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM

I started sewing when I was in grade school. Mom had always sewn so it was easy for me to pick it up. I used to make Barbie clothes when Barbie was born. I also learnt to embroidery but loved sewing better. When I was in 7th grade the project for Home Ec was an apron. I was one of 10 girls that was picked to model their apron for the PTA meeting. That was fun. I went on to making my own patterns for a skirt and vest. When I was in high school I took Home Ec again (wanted to be a fashion designer) and that's where I learned to read a pattern. Needless to say I didn't become a fashion designer but did continue to make clothes. After I graduated high school, got married I made all my clothes and also made clothes for others. As the years went by I moved on to all kinds of crafts. I no longer enjoy making clothes but love piecing quilts. I don't have any completed but hope to at least gets some tops finished. I have been sewing over 50 years.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM

First sewed an outfit onto a doll in 1st grade. I did not follow directions and couldn't get it off again. then in Home Ec 1953, learned to sew. Been sewing ever since--took about 25 years off while I worked. Learned to knit in Girl Scouts--still knit. Learned to crochet on the Rock Island train coming home from work in Chicago. Began quilting after watching a PBS show. Doing it all now and I'm happy. Oh yes, counted cross stitch in TX from a friend. About anything with a needle.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Swap Hosts

I was probably about six when I started to sew. I loved cross stitch kits and used to make clothes for my dolls. So how long have I been sewing? Over half a century!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 AM

I've been sewing for as long as I can remember, but quilting was added about twelve years ago, when my doctor suggested it for dealing with extreme stresses in my life. Never looked back!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 AM

I remember very well what inspired me to sew early in the 50's. I didn't sew at all but had two little children and another on the way and we did not have much money, Husband was just out of the service then. My stepmother's aunt, bless her soul, found a Wheeleer and Wilson #9 and they brought it over to me from Detroit. My neighbor sewed all her girls clothes and she taught me how to sew on that old treadle. I sewed all the clothes for the kids on that machine for about 10 yrs. That was one fantastic machine and I sure wish I still had it. Never quilted until the last ten yrs. or so when my oldest daughter showed me how to paper piece. That got me quilting and I haven't looked back.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 AM

Had to learn for school, but was soon pulled in by the taking of a flat piece of fabric and turning it in to something to wear. Then had 3 daughters who had to have clothing, prom dresses, wedding dresses and the whole wonderful world of doll clothes, then QUILTING . It is a never ending heaven of fabric and creation.