Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren
Originally Posted by 1screech
Some people think of quilts as very country old fashioned. Make your quilts and give them to someone else if they don't want them. I bet they will change their minds.
Not necessarily. Some people will never like a country style quilt no matter what.

Some people don't like cake...they only like pie.
Some people don't like traditional oil paintings...they only like modern art.
Some people don't like white appliances...they only like stainless steel.
Some people don't like floral patterns...they only like solids.

You get the idea. It's the same with quilts.

The important thing to remember is that it's not a reflection on YOU. Everyone just has different taste!
I totally agree! I don't like chocolate. 95% of the people who have learned this think that I am insane! Or that I just haven't tasted "good" chocolate yet. Nope. I threw up as a kid if I accidentally ate chocolate, and while I don't know if it's an actual allergy, I have no desire to find out. I don't like the smell of it, either. And I get annoyed when people seem to want to push me on it. My dislike of chocolate has nothing to do with your addiction. Feel free to eat it in front of me - I don't care - but when I say I don't want any, don't try to talk me into eating it. I.Don't.Want.Any - period!

And if someone tells you not to make them a quilt - don't make them a quilt. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment at their response and them up for resentment that you disregarded their expressed wishes.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I love to make quilts. I don't come from a family of quilters or sewers. Not even crafters. I wanted to make both my mom & sis (my only relatives living besides my 2 sons) a quilt for Christmas. When talking to them I just got a sweet but firm..NO THANKS!
It is so discouraging! I was wondering if anyone on the board has this?
Yes my second daughter does not want any made for her or the children as they all have minky blankets for their beds.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by kaykwilts
A cultural thing? Wow....what culture are your in laws from....Mars?? I mean forgive my surprise, but I have never heard of such a reaction to a gift as you MIL had....wow is all I can think!! :shock: :shock:
China-hand made isn't that impressive. And I am referring only to my inlaws. I am not making generalizations about everyone in China.

I did mention it to another friend who is also from China-a dfiferent area- and she just shook her head agreed with what you said.

I think it has something to do with the new found wealth. When every one was poor everything was hand made but now people are making money and doing well and like to show it by buying store bought things.
Sort of sounds like China is at the place the United States was back in the 1950-60's....when every thing store bought was preferred to handmade, and you couldn't find a quilt store, much less a quilt class, to save your life. But thanks to our diligent fore-mothers, and a few hippies thrown in for good measure, our hand crafts survived and found new life. Bet it happens there eventually too.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM

I have been working on a quilt for my granddaughter for Christmas. Yesterday, I got a phone call from my daughter-in-law. She ask me to please make my granddaughter a quilt for her bed. I told her that I was already making one and that that was all I was going to tell her. Oh.. and it would have penguins on it. (Granddaughter loves Penguins.) I am so glad I now know that my quilt will be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by khurtdvm
Originally Posted by gaevren
Originally Posted by 1screech
Some people think of quilts as very country old fashioned. Make your quilts and give them to someone else if they don't want them. I bet they will change their minds.
Not necessarily. Some people will never like a country style quilt no matter what.

Some people don't like cake...they only like pie.
Some people don't like traditional oil paintings...they only like modern art.
Some people don't like white appliances...they only like stainless steel.
Some people don't like floral patterns...they only like solids.

You get the idea. It's the same with quilts.

The important thing to remember is that it's not a reflection on YOU. Everyone just has different taste!
I totally agree! I don't like chocolate. 95% of the people who have learned this think that I am insane! Or that I just haven't tasted "good" chocolate yet. Nope. I threw up as a kid if I accidentally ate chocolate, and while I don't know if it's an actual allergy, I have no desire to find out. I don't like the smell of it, either. And I get annoyed when people seem to want to push me on it. My dislike of chocolate has nothing to do with your addiction. Feel free to eat it in front of me - I don't care - but when I say I don't want any, don't try to talk me into eating it. I.Don't.Want.Any - period!

And if someone tells you not to make them a quilt - don't make them a quilt. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment at their response and them up for resentment that you disregarded their expressed wishes.
I love chocolate but always ask my friends not to give me any as I am still trying to lose some weight. I get my own when I feel like some. I eat it all in a couple of days then no more for a while. A doctor told me to eat my fill then I won't want any more for a long time--he is right.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM

There's different strokes for different folks. I offered my one of my sons a choice of a traditional oil still life painting and an abstracted landscape oil painting. Same amount of time invested in them, same amount of talent. He barely looked twice at the still life, was thrilled to death with the abstract. The fact that mom painted it didn't matter. He wanted a certain subject, certain colors, a particular style of art to display on his wall. It is 4ft x 3 ft and will cost him a bundle to frame, but he loves it. He also doesn't like quilts that are expected to be seen. He uses them as blankets. Everyone has their own tastes. I have learned to let him chose his gifts from a selection. His taste and mine are so different and I got tired of having my feelings hurt, and he got tired of receiving what he thought were gifts that were old-fashioned.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM

how sad for them!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Yes I do. When I was enthusiatically telling my elderly aunt (she has 8 kids plus she took into her home every relatives kids and stray animals that were in trouble) about my new love of quilting, she told me quilts were made of scraps and old clothes and that fabric was to make beautiful clothes, not to cut up into pieces and sew them together again! I never brought the subject up again.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM

I made a quilt for my father in laws birthday about a year ago, and spent a ton of time trying to get it finished in time. I also tried to match his decor in his house. Within 2 days he called me up asking me to repair it because the dog chewed on it and ripped it apart. (It had embroidered pictures the kids made on some parts) I fixed it, and learned he's not really interested in quilts I guess. It's currently sitting as a cover for a dusty piece of furniture. That sounds really bitter of me. LOL

My children and husband do appreciate the quilts I have made. They have picked out their own fabric for quilts to be made, and use them. My husband is really supportive in buying fabric and encouraging me.

This year I am making quilts for my husband's aunts, I know they each have some quilts in their house. I'm trying to match their tastes to how they decorate their houses, and get them ready for Christmas. If the response is positive then I will be willing to put the time in to make more if they want them.

After that my next projects are for kids who need them.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pickle
I love the way you put your answer. A place to hide her tears. I think most mom shed quite a few tears.
I guess we should each have one for ourselves just to "hide our own tears".....