Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Fabric Update >

Walmart Fabric Update

Walmart Fabric Update

Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SugarCookie
Bah, humbug! The fabrics were taken away in all the Walmarts in our area! We all were so mad! They are the only fabric store for miles around. And their prices were reasonable.
I hope the lady was right and we get our sewing departments back! Thanks for your news!
I called WalMart at least once each week, e-mailed more times than I can count, along with thousands of the rest of you. I also talked with our local managers several times.

But what made the difference was that WalMart was losing market share to a number of other discounters. They had removed about 8,000 items from their stores in addition to the fabric as they tried to attract a more upscale clientele.

Does anyone remember when J.C. Penney went the same direction several years ago and almost went under?

I see local physicians and lawyers, college professors and other professionals shopping in our WalMart, not to mention teachers who are the best educated and most underpaid "other" professionals. I guess there just weren't enough billionaires to go around in the attempt to attract upscale cusotmers because WalMart is putting the 8,000 items back, along with the fabric. You can follow the saga in trade journals.

Fabric is back in WalMart in Sherman, Texas, and I have already bought more than my share. I have seen other people notice the fabric is back and get that incredulous, happy look people get when something unexpectedly good happens. The clerks tell me that they are staying busy relearning the art of cutting fabric as well as restocking the notions.

The profit motive is wonderful when it works! froggyintexas
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Our new small super center (new last fall) is now bringing in fabrics by the bolt. Some fabrics on racks, but not for sale yet. No prices, no cutting table yet, etc. Have seen this in another WM also. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Believe it or not ours is just now taking it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn
Believe it or not ours is just now taking it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speak to your manager now and call WalMart headquarters!froggyintexas
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I went to yet another WalMart in Baton Rouge and a nice lady was doing something in the crafts department. I asked her if this WalMart was going to get bolt fabric back and she said yes indeed. She said "you and your friends must have been calling and writing. I told everyone to call and write. "They" told us no one was buying fabric, and I told them that isn't the case". She was so nice and said that all the WalMarts would be getting fabric back. Not just in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure if that is really the case, but, at least that one in Baton Rouge (behind Cortana Mall) will be. She said she couldn't tell me when, but would be sooner than I think. I also said I've heard that when fabric comes back, there aren't people who know how to cut it. She said, well, I know how to cut and so do the other ladies who work here. She said she would look forward to cutting my fabric. Such a nice experience. I'll check back there to see when it happens. :D
Hey, I have children in baton rouge, go occasionally, you should check out the Wal-mart in Prairieville, only about 20 minutes down airline hwy, they have some great fabs on clearance, like 1.00 a yard and stuff! like David textiles-good fabric!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM

The Walmart store near me in Maplewood, MO put their fabric on bolts back into that store along with some fat qtrs, charm packs, etc and sewing supplies. The fabric dept isn't as big as it previously was but I managed to find a few fabrics anyway - never fails!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Ask manager in walmart close to me if they would get fabric department back. He said they had ask to have it returned, no answer to date. Unless things have changed, walmart has a minor reset of the store around Sept and a major reset around February. We still have a chance!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Yep!!!Here in Battle Creek Michigan were alresdy getting ours back guess it does work to complain!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

DD#1 called me just this afternoon with good news for the Columbus GA and Phenix City,AL area! Wal-Mart on Buena Vista Road has fabric again. That's the only one in our area that isn't a Super store. I can hardly wait to go check it out. She said it's a full source fabric shop again.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Know what you mean about not being able to find someone to cut it! I was there one time and some other customers and I waited, paged, waited, paged, and waited some more. Finally, I took a look at their little scanner - no code needed to scan the fabric so I cut mine - along with a couple of other customers - and we were on our way.......still no one in sight to cut fabric!!

Originally Posted by meanmom
My Wal Mart used to have fabric. Most of it was decent quality. One reason I didn't buy it more often was because I could never find anyone to cut it. I would have to wander around until I found someone. They would often promise to send the fabric person over who would never show up. I often threatened to cut my own. Mine has fabric now I haven't bought any yet as I am trying to stop buying fabric. I have way too much.