Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM

If you are diligent you can find fabric yardage at thrift stores. Today I bought 2 yards of black cotton, 2 yards of red flannel print suitable for Christmas stockings, 5 1/2 yards of red cotton with very small ecru stars, and a awesome black and white printed cotton bed coverlet 90 x 108 inches. The black and white print coverlet will be used for the backing of a black and white quilt I will be making. Today was senior citizen 10% discount day so I paid $13.47 for approx 15.25 yards of fabric or $.88 a yard.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I agree prices are going up when I finish this quilt I am thinking of just doing scrappy quilts as I have a lot of fabric
in my sewing room. :(
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Most of the LQS have to compete with the online stores and the big bulk stores. I support them as I can. I do not want them going out of business. As quilters we have commanded the best fabrics at the best prices, we've had the ability to pretty much buy what we wanted when we wanted it, it's changed now. Maybe the pet food companies, and the food mfg. should start packaging their products in fabric sacks, then we would have a relatively reasonable source for fabric. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 PM

You can buy wholesale from Marshall Dry Goods
http://www.marshalldrygoodswholesale.com/
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/pages/Marshall-Dry-Goods-CoPats-Fabric-page/291871751529
Send all you questions to Pat she is so helpfull :)
Her prices are $2.45 a yard
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
I have to say, it is funny you can go buy a cotton dress for less than 2 yards of fabric.

Does anyone remember Woolworth's? The one in downtown San Diego closed in early 1980, they put all their fabric on sale for $.25 a yard. I only bought one piece and a box of 4.5 in blocks for $1.00. There was enough in the box to make a king size comforter and I still have a LOT left. It was sad to see it close, but we still had TG&Y, they did have a better quilting department. It was sad when they closed too about 8 years later.
Ooooo I miss the fabric I used to get at a TG&Y store!
But what I was going to say was this, all of the shops expenses have gone up. and at least some of the cotton crops were ruined this year again , so future cost of yardage, will be more expensive! But, I agree with everybody, bolts that have been in the inventory for several years, should be less expensive!
Jeannie
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
I grieve to see my online friends being so affected with the higher prices fabrics. You know everything is affected, gas, food, clothes, higher utilities. Takes electricity to run our fancy machines, you might need a treadle. Be happy with what you have now. I know how to live without but I look around at you younger ones who has not had this experience and I feel so sorry for you. My best advice is get rid of your credit cards, buy only what you need, don't put all your cash in the banks, stock up some food and ammo, do not tell. If it gets as bad as predicted, those who do not have will try to take it from you. For the first time in my life I dispise policitians and what they have done to out wonderful country, now a laughing stock of world. Sorry if I'm depressing but I want you people realize how much you still have and enjoy today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet to come. Still raining in Ark.
I hate to say it, because I was never like this, but I agree with you. Virg
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I was into Joann this morning. They had the whole line of Heidi Grace in the browns in the red tag fabrics. I purchased a lot of coordinating fabrics for 4.00 per yard.

Sometimes I hit a nice sale like this and with my VIP card got another 10% off.

Jean
I was annoyed today at joann's and hoped to get some satisfaction from the manager but she didn't care. I bought $45 worth of good stuff two days ago and $60 yesterday. Yesterday the register lady was nice and gave me a

$10 coupon since I had spent over $50. So I told the manager it would have been nice if the register lady two days ago had mentioned that all I needed to get a $10 coupon was to spend $5 more. She didn't have to but it would have been a nice 'customer friendly" gesture. Manager said 'that's too bad'.so instead of buying the $30 book with my $10 coupon I spent $15 and will avoid them for one year. That's how I react to non customer friendly stores. This money was what I saved to buy myself a happy birthday treat. I know I am sensitive due to someone giving me a flat, losing my really nice bracelet, not being able to get to my front door due to sidewalks being replaced, and heavy machinery scaring my cat who didn't come home yesterday or today. Got a new tire, found my broken bracelet in the car, someone put a gang plank so Inow can reach my door, and the cat came back but I really was bothered by
that store not being nicer. Tomorrow will be better.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by polyman
Notice in these comments that all the stores that gave the good prices are no longer in business.
I so agree. If you don't support your quilt stores, they won't be able to stay in business. You can buy on line, but you don't get to really see and feel the quality of the fabric or get helpful advice. Times are tough all over, including the quilt shops. This is called supply and demand, that good old American business base.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by madamepurl
One thing I worry about is what about new quilters. I am a new quilter and I signed up for a FW quilt along. Well, I bought a piece of fabric for the border that is directional. I said... I wasn't sure about cutting it and they said - when the time comes we'll help you. If you have any trouble this month we'll help you. The other shop I frequent a lot is the same way. You can go or call with a question and I love the ladies that work there, so sometimes I stop in to see what's new and just have a quick chat. Not take up too much time or if I know there is a sale in progress I just have a look around and move on. I like to shop in my pajamas, but you just don't get the help that you need when your a newbie.
I must go to swank Quilt shops. I go in cheery but not too classy dressed.
They give me a cold look down their noses. I check to be sure my shoes are not mismatched. I don't think I look like a bag lady. I tell them what my project is and the type of fabric I might use. They could care less. I feel like a hobo at a family picnic. I leave with my fat wallet unopened and of course my self image and cheery smile are not what they were when I went in there. I think "Don't they want customers?" sometimes a known customer comes in a while later and they are all chummy while I brouse on my own.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.
Our local Walmart finally got fabric, the prices are good; however, the quality is low. Would be good for crafts, but I would not purchase any for quilts. Back to my stash!