Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmer's Wife Club at LQS >

Farmer's Wife Club at LQS

Farmer's Wife Club at LQS

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM

We had our first meeting of the FWC at my LQS this morning. Over 30 people signed up so there are two sessions - one at 10:30 and one at 1:00. My LQS is barely over a year old, is fairly small, and our town has around 10,000 in population. Some people drove over 100 miles to get here.

I'm not sure what to think right now. I took an Intro to Quilting class last year so am familiar - a bit - with sampler style blocks. We were told the rules of the club: Be on time, bring your passport. The passport is stamped each time - we meet once a month.

We are able to purchase 6 fat quarters for $10 and there is a Club Discount for that hour only. Today it was 25% off of notions.

The leader showed us block #41 - a friendship star. She said that seams need to be pressed open and talked about not stretching the fabric in any way. she said that templates should be put on right side of fabric. She talked a bit about the template and showed us some handy notions that she's using as she makes her blocks. These were - a chalk wheel, a purple thing, forked pins, a tiny iron, bobbin tower, 4" serated scissors, and a tool that you can use to check your seam allowance and needle placement.

You don't have to bring in a finished block next month, but we are encouraged to do so. Then ... that was about it. We then could purchase whatever we wanted to and we mostly wanted to get these nifty notions.

I've made a friendship star before and know about the threads on here. I've found the rotary cutting instructions on here. BUT ... I'm not sure I really know any more than I did before the club meeting. I've never used a template and I'm not sure I know how to do that. I'm going to go through and make the blocks that are similar to blocks I've made before.

I did enjoy visiting with people as we waited to check out with our notion stash. Of the 15 people in the 10:30 group I knew about 4 and the rest were new to me. I know I'll enjoy getting to know them and sharing what we've made in each meeting.

So ... I'm a bit disappointed, but willing to wait and see what happens next time. I DON'T want this to simply be a marketing method for the shop. I know that's part of it, but .. want it to be more than that as well.

SInce my only other meeting in a quilt shop was a class I think that's more what I'm expecting. This is a CLUB, not a Class - gotta remember that. Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

being kind of (new) to templates- and the techniques i recommend that you ---
sit up front when they are demonstrating that months technique---and ask questions-
usually after the (official) meeting- during the shopping time there is an employee kind of standing around the demonstration table who is available to explain further and help you understand what you do not understand- take advantage of this person- otherwise- she is just standing around.
the great thing about samplers is it gives you the opportunity to learn new techniques- and new blocks without a lot of investment.
often the programs are set up to (market notions) but you can learn alot- and do not have to buy all the notions
the reason for placing the templates on the right side of the fabric is...if you put it on the wrong side (or have the fabric folded in half- you will get mirror images- making parts (backwards) when you try to put them together-
once you learn to use templates...if you like those kinds of blocks/quilts you will love them and find yourself making your own...
take a breath-
perhaps write down some of your questions (about construction/cutting ect) before the next meeting- and do not be afraid to ask your questions- someone else may be afraid to ask but want to know too :)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 AM

From one Jan to another--do it. I've been quilting on and off for a number of years--self taught. I'm doing the FWS here on QB with templates and can't believe how much I've learned. My piecing is so much more accurate, I can look back at the first few FWS blocks I made and see a definite improvement. I learned more about color and contrast watching what the others in the group used. Plus-and this is a huge plus: encouragement. This is not an easy or a quick project--you're not doing a D9P. It would have been very easy to toss this one in the UFO pile. At one point I was ready to just make 100 potholders. You will learn something from each club meeting; at least go to a few and see if this is something you want to follow through on. If not, you can make a bunch of potholders!
CK's got some good advice too. Good luck!
As for notions, I used cardboard to make my templates. I didn't buy any new notions for this project.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 AM

I found that the show and tell part was very interesting. Loved seeing all of the creative ideas!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Administrator

a club might be better than a regular class.

in a class, you hear/see the teacher's point of view regarding tools, techniques, materials, etc.

at a club meeting, you will see the opening demonstration. after that, you will all be free to mingle and share alternate ideas for constructing your blocks.

watch for the clubbers who bring blocks that impress you and then ask questions. :-)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Such good advice! As always, I might add. The lady who demonstrated became a clerk as soon as her part was over - there were 3 workers there and that just wasn't enough. But ... next time ... that might be different.

The notions were things I've read about here and really wanted anyway, so .. that just won't happen each time.

I looked and looked and read and read on here before I signed up. Now I'll just have a real life person for questions and show and tell.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm not sure where to post pictures of my blocks as I'm late with the group. I put them on my PDA so here they are:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114577-2.htm#3956337